Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multiple LEDs/ multi ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Planning on constructing a simple tempeture module that measures 4 refergerator temps.
wanting to add some spice to the mix. if say ref 1 temp is too cold a green LED flashes. If too warm, a red LED flashes.
thinking there's got to be a better way than using two ports for each ref. not that I don't have the room but ??
thinking an NPN and a PNP transistor connected to one port. port goes low or high thus lighting desired LED.
sounds like too much trouble, just use 8 ports?
even wondering if chariliplexing would work??

Attachments

• temperature1.PNG
    temperature1.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 139
You can use direct drive from an I/O pin to light an LED so transistor drivers aren't really necessary.

You could use one pin to drive a red and green LED (four pins total for your 8 LEDs). Charlieplexing eight LEDs would require four pins so there's no advantage there.

You might also multiplex some of the LCD lines (D4 through D7 for example) with two I/O pins to drive eight LEDs...

Last edited:
Looking forward to actually connecting an LCD to a PIC. most of the schematics show 16 x 2 LCDs not 20 x 4
and what is pins 15 and 16 marked A and K?
in my schematic I connected the display as per 16 x 2 LCD. Need to configure for 20 x 4. pretty sure they are wired differently??

Looking forward to actually connecting an LCD to a PIC. most of the schematics show 16 x 2 LCDs not 20 x 4
and what is pins 15 and 16 marked A and K?
in my schematic I connected the display as per 16 x 2 LCD. Need to configure for 20 x 4. pretty sure they are wired differently??
The A and K represent Anode and Kathode for your back light.
The 16 x 2 and 20 x 4 are wired the same way. They both have the same buffer size, and the 16 or 20 wide is only like a 'window' into the buffer. This 'window' shows the first 16 or 20 characters in the buffer.
You will have to look at the data sheet to find the address for line 3 and 4...

Last edited:
schematic progress

here is proposed power supply, all 4 sensors and 8 LEDs
the 7805 might be overkill but why skimp?

Attachments

• temp pic sheet 2.PNG
    temp pic sheet 2.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 132
  • temp pic sheet 1.PNG
    temp pic sheet 1.PNG
    41.4 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back