Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multiple host for usb device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkh

is it possible to connect an usb device to more than 1 host? like for eg: is it possible for me to connect an external harddisk to my pc and my friend's laptop at the same time?

In short, no.

It could in theory be possible if you made an intermediate device that implemented a master interface to the hard drive and two device interfaces to the computers, but the complexity of building such a device makes it very, very unreasonable.

It's better to look at other options, like connecting the hard drive to just one PC and then sharing it as a network drive across ethernet to the other PC - or, if you buy a NAS drive, both computers can just connect to the drive via ethernet, no USB involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back