Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you still test measuring with a fan from the mains?
Try a lightbulb something that has no inductance, kicking back.

Last edited:

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 188
don't you need to have the ground lead of the multimeter connected into the circuit,
it appears you have the 10A and the ma posts connected but the ground on the multumeter needs to be connected than your chouce of the miliamp, or the 10A reange.

I think that's the whole problem.

With that set up you really don't have a circuit.

Ground on the multimeter must always be connected.

Last edited:
lol, I think JCLrd is right, you're using the wrong terminal. GND == COM

Last edited:
Yes the setup you have routes the current through the 10A and the mA circuit in series, which then can blow the fuse in the mA circuit. You need to connect the meter using the 10A and COM terminals, and leave the mA connection open. Didn't the meter come with a manual showing how to hook it up?

looks like i don't even know how to use a multimeter... haha!! :D

thanks guys though i would like a bit of help with one more thing...
i did some measurements using the 10A unfused port and choosing the apropriate 10A range on the meter, one of my measurements it is suppose to be less than 200mA (specifically between 100mA and 140mA) so i decided to change scale and see it on the 200mA range, but it blew the fuse!

why is that happend? the current i was measuring at the 10A range was "0.10"
so i guess it shouldn't blow a fuse at the 200mA range..

Last edited:
What was the load? Could it have had a higher startup current than it's running current?

Unless it's a physically faulty fuse they don't just blow for no reason, so assume it got too much current somehow. Are they slowblow or fast acting fuses?

Unless it's a physically faulty fuse they don't just blow for no reason, so assume it got too much current somehow. Are they slowblow or fast acting fuses?

fast ones...i bought some more and i'll repeat the same test so i can see if it going to happen again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back