Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multi transformer amperage pull question

Status
Not open for further replies.

buju357

hi guys
here is a question:
if I put 2 transformers of the same voltage but different amperage in series how will the amp pull be distributed ?

scenario 1
1 x 2 amp and 1 x 4 amp (same voltage) transformers connected in parallel , and I pull 4 amps , will the 2 amp transformer give 2 amps and the 4 amp transformer give 2 amps ?

scenario 2
if I pull 6 amps will the 2 amp transformer give 3 amps (and probably burn out ?) and the 4 amp give 3 amps ?

thanks

Last edited:
you cant connect transformer in parallel unless they are identical (same brand same model) and have same phasing, if you put 2 different brand there output voltage will be slighlty different and that can cause overload of one of the transformer and a lot of heat.

You can put them in series but you cant draw more amp than the weakess one (2 amp)

With two transformers in series they both have the same current (by definition of a series circuit).

Two transformers in parallel will share the current based upon their output voltage difference (the two will never be exactly the same) and by the difference in their winding resistances. Unless you know both, you can not determine how the currents will be shared in parallel. (And, of course, the two transformers will need to be connected so their outputs are in phase, otherwise a very large short circuit current will flow).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back