Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi-Mode Universal Timer ( 12 Volts )

Status
Not open for further replies.

petelai

Dear All,

I am very new to electronics and I currently have a project which requires a switch to be activated for approx 6 seconds. This allows a motor to run for this set time and then stop. I have found many Multi-Mode Universal Timer kits which i can buy. However, the small motor i wish to activate with a timer is run of a 6volt powerpack battery so the unit is transportable but all of the kits i have seen require a 12 volt dc supply to operate. Is there any way I can get 12 volts from a 6 volt battery or can i just change some of the components in the kit or even better is there a 6-12volt converter kit available?

Here is a link to one of the kits i have been looking at.

**broken link removed**

Thanks in advance

Peter

Hi Peter! Welcome to the forum.

Usually it's a better idea to post *what* you're trying to do, instead of *how*. Often the more experienced members will have a simpler/better solution.

How much current do you need to switch? If all you need to do really is turn something on for 6 seconds and then off again, probably the easiest idea would be to use a 555 and a transistor or relay.

What will be the trigger--what signal will tell the thing when it's time to start the 6-second-on pulse?

Torben

Hi Peter,

also welcome to the forum.

I took a look at the user manual of the device. It is easy to modify it to work at 6V.

Omit the 7805 (included in the kit) and replace with an LM2940CT5, a low dropout voltage regulator. The relay must be replaced by a 6V type.

In the kit it is a 12V type and works at Uin minus the forward voltage drop of D1 (~11.3V at Uin=12V)

This is the only part requiring 12V.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Hans

Re:Timer

Hi,
Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. I actually bought the following timer

**broken link removed**

And i swapped the 12volt relay for a six volt version. It works fine using six volts. The problem I have is the potentiometer is very sensitive and it doesnt allow me to set the timer less then 10 seconds. I presume I can change this for a different size?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back