Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MT8870 DTMF Decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the datasheet for the MT8870 there are two configurations in which it can be connected to the TIP and RING lines of a telephone. I want to use the differential input configuration but how do i know what values of capacitors and resistors to use? I know the input capacitors is used to block DC and the resistors form a voltage gain for the amplifier. But again how do i know what values to use? The telephone line is 48V when on-hook, about 90V when ringing and about 10V when dialing or during conversation so do i have to use these values to somehow calculate the capacitor and resistor values to be used?

Do not attach the MT8870 directly to the telephone line. The MT8870 is intended to be installed behind a network interface device (not just a few resistors and capacitors).

You have considerable research to do.

Mt8870

Yea it is said by most that the MT8870 should not be connected directly to the telephone and should be connected through some 600:600ohm centre tapped transformer but there are products on the market that is working perfectly fine and properly packaged using the direct connection. Thus the application note uses it directly. I guess i would just go ahead and use the values suggested in the MT8870 application note of figure 10 and connect some LEDs at the output and see if i getting the correct readingss when a digit on the telephone keypad is pressed.

I haven't brushed up on my FCC law recently but isn't directly attaching a device to a telephone line in the US without isolation circuitry illegal?

Illegal

Yes attaching equipment is illegal but it's my final year project i currently working on so i'mnot doing anything legal. I'm following instructions given to me by my lecturer in charge All blame is on him if anything happens ;)

In a classroom situation Figure 10 is fine. In the real world, the epanorama document is a very good start for developing the interface that I suggested.

Mikebits, thanks for that reference - I didn't know it was so nicely in one place like that!

hey can anyone suggest me how can i make a caller id...
it should have an lcd display...... and it should tell some thing to the in comming call like welcome.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back