Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

msp430

Status
Not open for further replies.

philba

I'm new to the msp430. I have heard a number of people waxing ecstatic over the msp430 so I went to the 430 day seminar that TI has been running. While there are some nice things about the architecture I have to say that i was utterly underwhelmed.

I've been using the ez430 usb stick. I like the concept behind it - quite inovative way for some one to get up to speed on the 430.

However, coming from PICs and AVR, I have found the products pretty weak on peripherals. the msp430f2013 (3.70 for q/1 from digikey) has one timer and spi/i2c. It does have a 16 bit ADC. except for the 16 bit ADC, it is pretty weak compared to the peripherals from cheaper PICs/AVRs. Maybe I'm spoiled by the richness of the 8 bit processors but I sure would like a UART and at least one more timer. To get that you have to go up to a much more expensive msp430. I don't see this line as becoming my standard uC for arbitrary applications. Maybe for a very low power solution or, once integrated onto the chipcon radios, for wireless aps (may the 8051 versions die a horrible death...).

I fully admit I've only spent a couple of days playing the 430. I would love to hear why I am wrong because I sure like core architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back