Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB X Opinions for Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
When I first saw MPLAB X, it was apparent that it was designed for C and not Assembly. There also seems to have been an awful lot of effort put into cutesy icons when a simple word like "run" would do. At least, I didn't see any "like us" on Twitter links at the bottom of the pages. ;)

Anyway, my problem simulating an important peripheral (i.e., doing a synchronous stimulus) may be related to using MPLAB SIM that came with MPLAB 8.92 instead of the X version. Microchip's response seems to be, use MPLAB X; we don't support 8.92 anymore. Of course, there are no more guarantees it will work with the 12F1840 chip than there were with MPLAB SIM, which is also claimed to be compatible.

For those using Assembly with MPLAB X, how do you like it? Are there more benefits than problems?

John

I still use MPLAB 8. MPLAB X is too slow for my liking.

I looked and MPLAB 8.86 and it does support 12F1840 - it's 2 or 3 years old.

Yes, the configure menu for the 12F1840 using MPLAB 8.92 and its included MPLAB SIM shows just "yellow":

upload_2015-3-27_2-2-1.png

Ultimately, my question to Microchip was whether any limitations had been identified to justify the yellow. That was never answered. Yes, you can work your way to the limitations, but when you get there, the 12F1840 is not listed. The 12F683 does not show limitations, which I already knew, because it simulated fine.

I was able to get enough of an in-circuit simulation going with my hardware source of signal and ICD3 to find the problem. It was not a very adequate simulation, since I could not control the stimulus cycles.

John

Weird!! I can't stand MPLABX... It's purley a old fart kind of thing!! Danny Wood ( also a member here ) uses it all the time and can't get on with MPLAB 8.xx (must be a young fart thing )..

I know that MPLABX still has editor bugs.. And compile bugs...

As I have since moved to Pic32 and have bought MikroE for Pic32, I have new worries!!

I still use MPLAB 8.7 , assembler/programming with PICStart+, no problems

I had a PICStart+ and really found it convenient. I even made an adapter with short ribbon cable for the few times I did ICSP. Eventually when I started using the enhanced mid-range chips, the warnings about lack of support got the better of me, and I sent it to Mr RB for the cost of postage.

Yesterday while trying to solve my simulator problem, I installed MPLAB X. My initial impression was not good either, as I might have implied. More objectively, I tried to compile a "clean" program that compiled with no errors or warnings in MPLAB 8.92. I got a ton of errors. The ones related to case sensitivity I expected, but couldn't figure out how to turn off case sensitivity. So, I fixed those errors.

There were still several errors related to "spaces", but unlike 8.92, I couldn't just click on them to get a clue as to where they were. Supposedly, both assemblers should be following MPASM's format, but that apparently is not the case. One thing I use is the bar "_" when I want to use a label that is either prohibited, repeated, or easier for me to read when the characters are separated. For example, I used "_data," but apparently MPLAB X didn't like that. At that point, I gave up trying to fix the code. Ver. 8.92's comments are cryptic enough. I was not in a mood for the additional effort. Nevertheless, I suspect the day will come when I either convert the X-version or something entirely different. This may drive me to C the light. :D

Edit: It would have been nice had Microchip chosen to introduce X with a compatibility mode, like Win7 64 or the newest versions of Eagle, to ease the transition. I can guess why it didn't do that, but it would have been nice.

John

Last edited:
I still use MPLAB 8.7 , assembler/programming with PICStart+, no problems
The only reason anyone would move up is lack of support for latter chips... Keep with what you know!

The pitfall!! If the chip you are using becomes obsolete and you have to port to a newer chip, then there will be two learning curves... One moving all the new peripherals out of the way of the new chip and two... MPLABX...

I got a ton of errors. The ones related to case sensitivity I expected, but couldn't figure out how to turn off case sensitivity.
To turn off case sensitivity, go to the project preferences menu (to the left of the hammer icon), select customize, and in the window that pops up:
- In the left pane - Categories, select Conf: [default] > MPASM (Global Options) > MPASM
- In the right pane - Select the menu item General.

You'll see a check box "Enable Case Sensitivity". Uncheck this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back