Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB SIM Symbol in watch window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a PIC noob. I just received my PIC Kit 2 today. I want to add the file register called 'DISPLAY' to my watch window. But the 'Add Symbol' feature is greyed out.

Sorry if I'm being thick. Very grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

**broken link removed**

I can add any symbol/text by selecting it and then dragging it into the symbol list (add symbol being also grayed out). However i am not sure it works this way. Haven't tested.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt replies!

I have compiled it because I can flash the chip and the prog works. I am only using the MPLAB IDE environment to debug and flash. It's confusing using two seperate progs to do the same task. I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm talking about yet - still finding my way.

Dragging and dropping the label doesn't work.

With the PICKIT you can program while in MPLAB. Select PICKIT2 on the debugger menu (in MPLAB)... look in the PICKIT help for more info as well. When you use the PICKIT as a debugger you can see the real registers on your PIC when you step/pause/breakpoint your code, and not some simulated values that does not work well with things like the ADC.
The PICIT is also a basic logic analizer, but you can play around with that when you have a bit more experience.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've managed to add the symbols; I used the template file (object) for the chip I'm using and added the symbols and the code. There is a lot of other default code in the template file that I don't yet understand.

I'll go and have another look at the PICkit help as you suggest and see if I can figure that one out. Very grateful for your help.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back