Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB IDE and simplest programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Write your program in a text file.
Use MPASM to get a .asm file and .hex file
Use WinPic or ICPROG to "burn" the program into a PIC12C508A - one-time programmable chip.

Damn, I didn't know I can program it only once.
Is there an 8-pin DIP pic that can be programmed more times?

Try the PIC12F683. 'C's are one-time programmable. The 'F's are able to be reprogrammed.

So is there no way to use COM84 programmer with MPLAB IDE?

Or some other, but simple and cheap that I can make.

A PICkit costs $35. You can build a very basic junebug for about half that, if you know what you're doing. They are compatible with MPLAB.

Personally, I'd recommend just buying a PICkit2 or 3 or a Junebug kit.

Good luck :)

A PICkit costs $35.

I'd buy it, but programmers are a rare commodity in my country.

BTW thanks for your replies ,full of bits of info I can google.

Last edited:
I'd buy it, but programmers are a rare commodity in my country.

BTW thanks for your replies ,full of bits of info I can google.

May I ask what country you are in? It might help us help you.

This is something that might be worth looking into.

**broken link removed**

If you can't buy anything from ebay, there might be someone here willing to help, or perhaps you have a friend who could do it for you. I'd be happy to order it and mail it when it came in, but my paypal has not been working correctly.

Hope this helps!
Regards

P.S. I hope I didn't over-step my bounds by suggesting some members here might be willing to help. Let me know if I did and I can remove that part of the post.

I built a pickit2 the other day!.... Didn't cost any more than a tenner...**broken link removed**

If you ask someone to burn you a pic18f2550 with the pickit2 firmware. It took about an hour.... I also put a ziff socket on (all on a small stripboard).

Here is something that would help you http://www.oshonsoft.com/picprogserial.html..... The software is also available..

Last edited:
Another recommendation for the PicKit here. Both Digikey and Mouser sell them, and claim "worldwide shipping", so they should be able to get one to you. Also they can be purchased directly from microchip.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back