Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevors

Hello everybody,
I'm using MPLAB V8.00 to compile my asm files and get several files generated: the HEX file, ERR file, LST file and COD file. Is there any way I can change this so that only a HEX file and ERR file is generated? Are the COD and LST files required for anything else (programming the pic?)

Trevors said:
Hello everybody,
I'm using MPLAB V8.00 to compile my asm files and get several files generated: the HEX file, ERR file, LST file and COD file. Is there any way I can change this so that only a HEX file and ERR file is generated? Are the COD and LST files required for anything else (programming the pic?)
To prevent COD file generation, select "Suppress COD file generation" on the linker tab (Project->Build Options->Project).

There are some options that you can use in the command line of MPASM WIN; perhaps you'll find where you can use them in MPLAB IDE:
/w to suppress COD file generation
/l- to suppress LST file generation

Personally I've never disabled the generation of those files! The LST file is sometimes useful; it contains the size of the assembled program and its location in the program memory, for example.

Last edited:
The Program Memory window view functions as a live LST file. You may single step through it and modify the opcode and operads live without rebuilding the project! Thats is just beautifull because you cannot modify code in the source file during single step debugging. Much better looking than and LST file too. Indispensable for quickly knowing the address of table offsets, viewing the actual code in device as opposed to user or compiler macros, and viewing data in program flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back