Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MP3 Modification!

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi All ,

i have an old Mp3 player which i need to modify to the following project.

i need to let the MP3 player recieves the signal from a microcontroller circuit in order to chnage the track and the volume ....so on .

so i'll open the cover and remove the buttons and replace it with wire connected to the microcontroller circuit ., so if i need the track number 3 for example , i have to send three pulses...... exactly like when i press the button three times ,

what do you think .... will that work ?

These buttons and keys you are referring belong to a so called microprocessor only. but resident in the mp3 player. I wonder , whether you are not re-inventing the wheel!! Instead you may perhaps add a remote control facility for it, as a project.

Last edited:
When you press the button, it is shorting to pads (like a momentary switch)? Are they going pulling the one pad to GND or VCC?

You need to figure that part out first and then have the uC mimic that function.

If your MP3 player runs off 3.3v (or 1.5v or 2v etc) then make sure the micro is running at the same voltage.

Bunging a 5V micro on a lower voltage device without buffering is asking for problems.

@When you press the button, it is shorting to pads (like a momentary switch)? Are they going pulling the one pad to GND or VCC?@

i'll pull both the Gnd and Vcc and connect them to a relay , the realy with will connect them when it got the pulse from the mcu.

my mp3 is working with 1.5 volts , i'll use regulator and reitors to send the correct the voltage .

so what do you think now ....? can i go a head ?

If you use a relay you will not have to use a regulator. It will be isolated from the circuit. That should work.

Just put the relay across the pads and have the uC pulse it. You will need a transistor to drive the relay coil. Are you using a 5V uC and relay?

yes , exactly.

i think now how to get a feedback from the mp3 player .
this feedback will help me to avoid any error while selecting the track.

watzmann said:
@When you press the button, it is shorting to pads (like a momentary switch)? Are they going pulling the one pad to GND or VCC?@

i'll pull both the Gnd and Vcc and connect them to a relay , the realy with will connect them when it got the pulse from the mcu.

my mp3 is working with 1.5 volts , i'll use regulator and reitors to send the correct the voltage .

so what do you think now ....? can i go a head ?
Just because the MP3 player works from a 1.5V battery, it doesn't mean the internal electronics work from that voltage. The chances are that there is a boost converter to increase the voltage to something between 3V and 5V to power it.

Hero999 said:
Just because the MP3 player works from a 1.5V battery, it doesn't mean the internal electronics work from that voltage. The chances are that there is a boost converter to increase the voltage to something between 3V and 5V to power it.

no problem if that happned because i'll supply the Mp3 Player with 1.5 volt in the battery socket too , so if it need to booster it can booster , if not so not a problem.

so the working theory of the mp3 player i'll never touch , i'll just modify the buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back