Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moving from PCB123 to Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

I am considering moving from PCB123 to Eagle. However, since this is for a small business, it will cost about $750 to purchase the software. I do not need to move any of my PCB123 boards so that is not an issue. Overall, it will save me some money because I am planning on about a dozen unique new boards that need to be tested which would get quite pricey on PCB123, but BatchPCB would be reasonable.

Before I make the leap, is Eagle worth the cost? What kind of experience have you had with BatchPCB (other than the 3 week wait for boards more or less)? I will then need to find a production board shop when the design is complete because BatchPCB suggests using them for prototyping only (their boards are not tested and may have errors).

I am just trying to get some comfort level before making a change from a service with which I am satisfied, but I also need to look at the cost savings.

Thanks,
Dale

Hi DSGarcia,

wow! US$ 750.00 for a professional version is comparatively cheap now. When I purchased Eagle Version 3.55 professional it cost me €1,500.00 (US$2,250).

Eagle is very widespread software and accepted as board files by almost every PCB manufacturer. PCB errors can only be produced by yourself using Eagle.

If you don't have to redesign existing designs it is no question to "upgrade" to Eagle.

One word concerning PCB prototyping: I contacted many chinese and taiwanese PCB manufacturers and their prices are unbeatable with mass production (500+ units per order). On the other hand they are extremely expensive for prototyping. I received the latest quote for a double sided board size 4.0X3.5inches for US$500. Electrical tests are mandatory at almost all chinese manufacturer's and they are expensive, too.

If you are looking for dependable and fairly cheap prototype manufacturer check out: https://www.bilex-lp.com (Bulgaria) Quoting and order online.

Regards

Boncuk

Last edited:
Boncuk,
Thanks for the information. Although $750USD is a bargain, free (PCB123) is even cheaper. (If you want to do more than 4 layer boards or larger than 160mm x 100mm, then Eagle is about $1,500USD) However, in the long run, I will make the cost of Eagle back in the prototype board savings alone ($2.50 per square inch for untested prototype boards) because PCB123 requires you to purchase boards from them. (This savings would not be the case if I only had one or two board designs or for larger sized boards.) BTW, I could not find a U.S. sales link on the bilex-lp web site.
Thanks,
Dale

Last edited:
Hi Dale,

I guess Bilex is more or less unknown in the US since the company is loacated in Bulgaria.

Just call the website I provided and take a look. You might also want to have an online calculation for comparison.

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back