Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorvehicle Salvage yards uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitem2k

Has anyone had any experience in salvaging old DC motors from scrap cars in the uk?
I cant seem to find anything useful on google:mad:

I live in Kent, Does anyone know if there is any salvage yards around here?

thanks

I hope you're not thinking about using a starter motor in a robot or something as it isn't suitable because it isn't rated for continious use.

Hero999 said:
I hope you're not thinking about using a starter motor in a robot or something as it isn't suitable because it isn't rated for continious use.

No, but i am thinking of using windscreen wiper motors.

window motors are pretty powerful, but are notoriously badly made. Very similar to cranking motors, in that they are enormous power pigs, shoddy construction, etc since they have a very low duty cycle.

seat motors, and many of the small " only runs for a few seconds" motors found in cars & trucks are just as bad.

wiper motors are a better bet.

A wiper motor is good and so is a blower motor if you want a motor that's rated for continious operation.

bitem2k said:
Do you mean the heating system blower?

Yes he does.

But wiper motors are really pretty good!.

Did you ever watch Robot Wars?, one of the best robpots was called Cassius, and it was really the first to be self righting, and was famous for actually flipping up in the air and landing back on it's wheels - I think it won at least two wars?.

Anyway, the guy (Rex something? - Garrad?) who built it actually makes special effects, for movies and anyone who wants them (moving displays in museums etc.)

He's been using Bosch wiper motors from scrap cars (probably the most common kind?) for years and years, usually running them at 24V so they run faster, and he claims NEVER to have had one fail!.

Robot wars used to be good for the first few series but then it went downhill; eventually it was relegated to channel 5.

It's a shame, they should've kept changing the rules to keep the designs changing from year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back