Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motorola transistor identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTEROTH

View attachment 63475

Heya electro-tech... I was wondering if anyone knows how to cross reference motorola transistors starting with a number then a dash.... 3-034, 4-404, 4-045 .....etc? I have sorted a lot of transistors, chips and diodes and am crossing them to NTE numbers to sort them and combine like with like for breadboarding, but after the ecg, ge, hep, sk, and 2n's, I get to number codes that I have been trying to cross, but there is no info in the catalog or on the search engines. I have 20 of these cases that hold 24 little cases that I got from a craft store and they sort transistors and diodes really well, but in the 17 cases of 24 I have filled with transistors, I am short info on 100+. Most are metal can and they almost all are 3-, 4- and 5- prefixed following the motorola M on the case. Anyone know how to cross these or where I could find info... Much Thanks in advance.....

ASTEROTH

Companies like HP/Agilent (and others) have the parts narked with their numbers. If we know where you got these parts it might help.

Companies like HP/Agilent (and others) have the parts narked with their numbers. If we know where you got these parts it might help.

Thanks for the reply ron... I got these transistors at a flee market with switches and chips and all sorts of stuff in a shoebox 2 summers ago. when I seperated all my semiconductors this winter till now, Those are the ******* devices. I figured that they were motorola transistors, because of the logo.... a single larger than the number M before the number. After the number, example: 5-083, there is, what I believe to be a date code, because some of those numbers vary, but the first numbers stay true to that format. Gosh... what a pain these transistors are.... because I can't find anything else out about them. Still TRYING and still DETERMINED....lol
CHRIS

those are "house numbers". they were probably made under contract for a manufacturer. RCA and Zenith used to have parts with a similar number format. unless you find an ECG or SK book from the 70's, you're unlikely to figure out what they are. the best method would be to test them on a curve tracer, and run Ft tests, capacitance tests,to get their specs, and see what they match. they are most likely common motorola transistors, but just re-named to force repair techs to buy the parts from the mfr of whatever they were used in (house numbers were common among TV manufacturers)

a good example of house numbers is the following list from Peavey (a guitar and PA amplifier manufacturer)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back