Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorcycle turn signal help

Status
Not open for further replies.

erburtt

Hi, I am relatively new to the circuit building world, my education is in civil engineering so not really the same thing... I am trying to figure out a way to wire up lights on my motorcycle.

To sum it up... I am converting my traditional incandescent lights to LED, my hope is to have two sets of LED's for each side of the bike, I want one LED to be on all all times as a running light but then flash when the turn signal is activated, and the other LED to come on only as a turn signal.

Because the LED's only have a (+) and (-) the only way I know how to make it work as both a running light and flasher is with a MOSFET, Basically I connect the running light power to the source, the turn signal power wire off of the flasher relay to the gate, and the drain goes to the (+) on the LED.

This will work fine, however it will flash opposite all my other lights which are only connected to the turn signal wire. I want everything to flash at the same time when I activate my signals.

Anyone have any idea's on how to do this, Ive heard of a logic gate working for this but really don't know anything about it.

Hi, I have a micro-controller based application for this, and many cars here are running with this same thing. Its pretty simple and can be implemented with relative ease.
I can provide with the source code/ the complete assembled kit if you want.
>Its firmware is fully up gradable and the delay timings can be changed using a simple interface with PC.
>All the test cases like caution lights etc are implemented and the circuit can handle more than 6A without any problem (tested)
if you need e-mail me :- magvitron@gmail.com

I had an idea, however the above sounds better.

The only thing to add is that make sure your lights are either approved for road use, or at least look like existing lights, if they are super bright, or not bright enough you might get a ticket.

I've done LED's on bikes before, I should be fine, I've never had a cop look twice at me on my bike, not a huge worry from what I've experienced here in Ontario

Id appreciate any further info on those micro controllers you mentioned, ie. cost, it's size, like I said I'm pretty new to most things electrical so any info about programming it or using it in laymens terms helps haha

The BRIGHTER the LED the better on a motorcycle. I drive with Highbeam on at all times. Don't worry about brightness. Safety first. Gotta watch out for the dumb people in the cars. Make sure they can see you.

I've got to say, blinding the people driving towards you seems to be towards the "dumb" end of the spectrum rather than the "safe" end.
I would agree with this, I use my high beams like I would in a car, Sure I put super bright lights on but they aren't directed at a height where they would be shining at someone's eyes... people do dumb stuff when faced with a bright light.

My parents were once driving home at night and came across a horse on the road that had gotten loose, they pulled off the road and left the lights on so other people would see them trying to corral the horse back into its pen, an old man was driving along in the opposite direction and freaked out when he saw their lights... ended up crossing to their side of the road and hit their car head on and put my mums head through the windshield...

Ouch, I dont want to try that out.
I think your comments are sensible erburrt, you dont have to follow vehicle guidelines to the letter however common sense applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back