Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorcycle Rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bioman

Hi Guys

Thanks for your great forum, i restore classic Japanese motorcycles, i am from Johannesburg
South Africa (World cup country)
I need to build a rectifier for my old bike, i cant buy the part from the dealer as it is obsolete.

This is the info i have, the generator is a three phase AC generator, regulator and silicone rectifier.
Battery charging voltage is 15volts.
charging current, 2.0amps.
The AC generator has an output of 14.5volts and 13 amps.

The silicone rectifier is sealed and there is no access, i did test it as the manual specified, and found
no continuity on one of the pins, the plug has two pins at the top and three pins at the bottom.
If you van help i would gladly appreciate it.

If anyone is coming to the world cup, i would be happy to show you around.

Regards

Hi bioman,

this diode will most probably suit your needs.

It's a hyperfast recovery rectifier diode manufactered by NXP semiconductors. It can stand up to 20A at 600Vrms at low thermal resistance.

The diode's name is: BYC20-600, in a SOD59 (TO-220AC) package.

The alternator probably has a center tapped output, meaning to connect two diodes to the outer taps and use the center tap for common (ground).

Here is the datasheet.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• BYC20-600.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 407
Are you using an ohm meter to check the diode? If so then try switching the test leads around and/or use the diode feature on your DMM
sounds like a dumb suggestion but sometimes the simple common sense tasks are forgotten
Been there done that!.

Are you sure the regulator isn't integrated into the rectifier?

That's often the case.

Most, if not all, engine alternators are 3-phase, thus you need a 3-phase bridge rectifier (6 diodes). For example this should work. It needs to be mounted on some sort of heat sink.

A small nit but they are silicon rectifiers, not silicone.

Are you sure the regulator isn't integrated into the rectifier?

That's often the case.
That's true for automobile applications, where the alternator is a self-contained unit. But most motorcycles have the alternator on the end of the crankshaft as part of the engine, with a remotely located rectifier assembly away from the direct heat of the engine.

If it's just a three phase rectifier you're looking for, just use the following schematic.
**broken link removed**

There's no need to build it, you can buy modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back