Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorcycle, cancel turn signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbytwo

I am looking for a circuit to cancel my turn signals on my 12V motorcycles. It has been years since riding on the street and it's embarrassing driving with a blinker on.

What it has to do is just open the circuit after a predetermined time, should be pot adjustable. This would go in series with the one hot wire to the flasher unit. Only one 24W light bulb at a time will be used (rear only)

These are commercially made that replace the flasher at $100 a pop. I know I can do better.

Motorbyce, cancel turn signals

Hi,

it has been quite a while since I drove motorbyces, about 40 years. The problem involved with the turn signal is an unpredictable turn radius, which makes it impossible to use the "steering wheel" like it is used in a car.

A timer circuit could help in many cases, but not in every case.

As I remember the front wheel is never aligned straight with the frame driving curves, although the deflection is very small in a shallow curve.

Also there is some acceleration sideways which could be used to switch off the turn signal if the signal returns to neutral.

Using the g-force which applies in any curve will be the most promising way to make a circuit which will work 100% in any case.

There are many accelerometers on the market able to detect the smallest acceleration force off the stationary position.

Just to give you an idea about the sensitivity of such a device: long before GPS came into play inertial navigation platforms were used to navigate an aircraft across the atlantic ocean with almost no error.

Regards

Boncuk

how does you speed info get relayed? is it a mechanical cable to the front wheel or a sensor on the transmission or final drive? my bike uses an optocoupler to count the teeth passing by it on the final drive. after a predetermined amount of pulses, it shuts the blinker off.

a timer would work as well, but if you are at a light with your signal on, it will turn the blinker off.

OutToLunch said:
a timer would work as well, but if you are at a light with your signal on, it will turn the blinker off.
Good point. I was hoping this would be a temporary aid until I get used to street riding again. A 15 second timer would probably help. I see the 555 won't handle the 25 watts so a relay is needed.

It just might be easier to keep my thumb on the switch as a reminder.:D

The amber indicators are a little hard to see in daylight through a helmet/shield. A buzzer would be hard to hear.

Don't you have a flashing light on the dashboard?

I failed my CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) because I was used to driving a car and I didn't cancel my signals. I came back the following week and passed because I managed to hammer it into my thick skull that the signals don't cancel themselves like in a car.

You could build a circuit that cancels it after a certain amount of time but I don't see how it would help you in the long run. As soon as you bought another bake you'd be back to square one, you'd have to fit the circuit again and if it is a new bike then fitting it would void the warranty.

My advice to you would be to say to your self, "I'm signalling" over and over when you turn and hopefully it'll become habit in the end.

The "dash" amber indicator is hard to see in daylight, as already stated.

The two wire circuit would plug in (in series) with the flasher, no "fitting" required.

My two ($400 ea) motorcycles, `79 KZ650 and `81 KZ1000, are just toys. I thought a $5.00 circuit might be fun.

If I bought a new bike, which I have better things to do with thou$and$, come with self canceling signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back