Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motorcycle battery tender/charger... help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktg08

It's been 20 years since I graduated with my associates degree in electronics... have not studied circuits since. Am trying to build a battery charger/tender for my motorcycles. I have a workbox full of 0.25 watt resistors, some diodes, some transistors... I have a transformer that's rated at 12Vdc 1000mA. Its no load voltage is around 15V.

I want to make it simple. The ideal setup would be something that I can leave plugged in continuously and only applies a voltage to the batteries when they drop below, say, 12V.

I have an idea in my head... if I can somehow use the 0.6V minimum drop across the base/emitter to turn on/off a transistor and allow the circuit to charge.

Any help appreciated

Transformers produce AC, not DC so it's got to be a proper little power supply, not just a transformer.

Just connect two diodes in seires to limit the open circuit voltage to 13.8V and add a 2.2:eek:hm: 3W power resistor to limit the current, in case you connect a flat battery to it.

There's no need to cut off the power, a lead acid battery can float charge at 13.8V all the time without being damaged.

ok so everything in series. gotcha. by a flat battery do you mean 0 volts? and does a 0 voltage battery act like a closed circuit? in that case wouldn't a flat battery (in this circuit) draw about 6 amps or is there a standard internal resistance to a lead acid battery?

yes, what I have traditionally called a transformer does rectify the voltage to dc

As far as a lead acid battery is concerned, 10V to 11V is flat.

A battery that's discharged beyond this voltage range might be dead.

ktg08 said:
ok so everything in series. gotcha. by a flat battery do you mean 0 volts? and does a 0 voltage battery act like a closed circuit? in that case wouldn't a flat battery (in this circuit) draw about 6 amps or is there a standard internal resistance to a lead acid battery?
A dead battery with voltage close to zero will likely have a high resistance so the charging current would be low.

It's been 20 years since I graduated with my associates degree in electronics... have not studied circuits since. Am trying to build a battery charger/tender for my motorcycles. I have a workbox full of 0.25 watt resistors, some diodes, some transistors... I have a transformer that's rated at 12Vdc 1000mA. Its no load voltage is around 15V.

I want to make it simple. The ideal setup would be something that I can leave plugged in continuously and only applies a voltage to the batteries when they drop below, say, 12V.

I have an idea in my head... if I can somehow use the 0.6V minimum drop across the base/emitter to turn on/off a transistor and allow the circuit to charge.

Any help appreciated
Have you build this battery tender?
I am looking at building the same thing, do you have any circuit diagrams available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back