Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorbike Dash Lights Problem...Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowman

Hey there again, got another problem with my motorbike, a non-project related problem this time.
Basically i have switched my dash lights to LED, and they have been fine for quite a while, but not so long ago, the one on the far right marked "LP3", blew, so i replaced it with a spare white LED as i have orange ones in the other two marked "LP2" & "LP1", and the others above in black are blue and green for high beam, neutral indicator and signal indicators, (as shown in images). All lights worked fine up until this:

Basically what happened was i bough a new set of orange LED's to replace the white one so it would match, it was perfectly fine up until i switched the LED over from white to orange and turned on the ignition, it flash around three times quite quickly and then the whole row went out, all three orange ones, LP1-3 dead, the others above still work and the clocks still work and so does the digital screen, the LED's are working still, but the board isn't. Also the board smells sweetish to the top left of the "LP3" bulb hole, i cannot smell it anywhere else that i can tell apart form there. I am in a bit of confusion as to what when wrong and wanted to know if anyone would know where i could find the problem. I have taken pictures of both sides of the dash PCB, and at an angle as well in-case, hope its clear enough to be viewed in detail, if any more pictures are required i can upload them no problem.

Thanks for Viewing! Much appreciated! :)

20140509_212405.jpg
20140509_212732.jpg
20140509_212739.jpg
20140509_212837.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Bowman,

Can't sleep and just cruising some old posts.

How has the "use lemons to make batteries and power your mind" working out?

Sorry, could not resist.

No doubt you abhor dangling threads as much as everyone else and have probably been too busy to report on your solution to the LP1-3 disaster. What did you discover? Also, what functions did those three lamps inform you of? Could the driving signals disagreed with LED's (vs incandescent). But as you noted, they worked with white LED's, then failed with orange (after thoughtfully providing three warning blinks).

Btw, that is one incredibly sophisticated PC board for a motorbike. Here in the colonies, a motorbike is usually a moped, but I suspect your machine is a motorcycle. I noticed the board was manufactured in Spain on 11/04. Who made your motorbike?

RSVP

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back