Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor to turn wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i am constructing a mini car using dc motors. I plan to 2 motors. The rear motor will control the 2 wheels at the back of the car to move forward or backward. The front motor will control the left and right turn of the car.

How do i make the motor control the movement of the wheels (eg: if motor spins forward, the front wheels will turn right) ?

for a steering setup like your taking about, youll want a servo motor. I think they work by sending a pulse width modulated signal to the servo, and depending on this signal the motor will rotate to a certain position.

google for them, there should be a bunch of info out there.

i dont know if you're already too far into construction to think about this. It would be kind of cool to make it steer like a tank does. If the left wheels go forward, and the right reverse, the car will turn to the right, adn vica versa. I think bobcat tractors work like that too.

i dont know if you're already too far into construction to think about this. It would be kind of cool to make it steer like a tank does. If the left wheels go forward, and the right reverse, the car will turn to the right, adn vica versa. I think tractors work like that too.

zachtheterrible said:
i dont know if you're already too far into construction to think about this. It would be kind of cool to make it steer like a tank does. If the left wheels go forward, and the right reverse, the car will turn to the right, adn vica versa. I think tractors work like that too.

yeah, this is called differential type steering. The method where the two front wheels turn and one turns more than the other is called ackerman steering.

yep tank stering is much easyer to do and it makes it more manuverable (it can turn on an single spot).this works wery good whith 2 wels

I made an simple lego car to try it out (2 strong motors made it wery fast).but i didnt make it radio controled(it was on an 10m wire).

PS:
I think trators sitil use tradiconal front weel angle stering

i can understand how this works wen the car is not moving, but how does it work when teh car is moving? One wheel just slows down? i knew that it works, but not sure how.

zachtheterrible said:
i can understand how this works wen the car is not moving, but how does it work when teh car is moving? One wheel just slows down? i knew that it works, but not sure how.

yes you are right. one wheel just slows a little bit and the car or whatever it is turns to the side of the wheel which is slowed down. actually by slowing down the speed of the motor you are reducing the number of rotations of the wheel and hence the distance covered per second. if at the same time one wheel has a greater speed than the other than the distance covered per second of both the wheels will be different. one will be covering much distance than the other. thats why the car starts to turn.

i hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back