Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor suppression capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I have a hot air gun that is used for welding plastic and it has stopped working. The item that has gone to electrical heaven is the suppression capacitor(s). The item in question is a grey tube 16mm(3/8") diameter and 34mm(1 3/8") long. It has five wires - 2 black wires from the power in, 2 yellow going to the motor and 1 earth wire. The markings on it are,

LC 2?2 - 2R60 - 0.??
0.022uF ????????????
+2 ???????????? 250V
???????????????? 2.75
550-5/560-7

The question marked area being unreadable.

It is supplying a series wound motor that is 50mm(2") dia and 100mm(4") long which I would guess is around 300W.

My guess is that it is just 2 capacitors to ground but the "+2 ????" has me worried and so I thought I would ask if anyone has a better idea before I try and replace it.

FYI, the hot air gun is no longer in production but **broken link removed** is it's replacement.

Thanks for any information.

Mike.

Last edited:
That would be a highly unusual application for just a capacitor. Are you certain that this is not an entire controller module?

It has five wires - 2 black wires from the power in, 2 yellow going to the motor and 1 earth wire. The markings on it are,
Mike.

Mike,
From this description.
The two input wires, both black, so not polarised.
Likewise the two yellow wires to the motor.

My best guess its a simple mains filter.
Comprising 2 resistor/cap snubbers, one on each line, with a common junction to gnd.
Is it possible to get a resistance reading thru, black to yellow.?

The unit in question has two wires to the supply and two to the field windings (+ 1 to earth). The other side of the field windings going to the brushes. There is no way to control the motor except on/off.

Mike.

Hi Eric,

I didn't have a meter with me today. I'll be able to meter it on Friday. It's at school.

Mike.

The unit in question has two wires to the supply and two to the field windings (+ 1 to earth). The other side of the field windings going to the brushes. There is no way to control the motor except on/off.

Mike.

hi,

Something of this type. [halfway down the page]

**broken link removed**

Eric,

That (second from left) looks very much like it except the one at school has 5 wires.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back