Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor soft start controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwf

Any ideas how I can soft start the motor on my electric mitre saw - it is mains driven at around 2KW....and it starts at full power with an almighty kick .

I am thinking perhaps a triac with some kind of slow start circuit that gradually increases to full power over about 1 second or so ?

thanks

Last edited:
What about a good old fasioned variac?

thanks for the suggestion.......it's an interesting thought but at over 10 Amps current I don't think one of those would last very long.....no, I am sure the answer lies in a TRIAC based circuit.....just can't visualise it !

I did indeed read the article - and thanks for pointing me to it :) - but it seems these are better suited to preventing the relatively short surge that is generated by the capacitors in switch mode power supplies rather than the couple of seconds that a 2000W mains powered electric motor takes to spin up......I can't see these dissipating that sort of power for longer than a few milliseconds

Wirewound resistors are very robust. You only need a 100 W one if you are going to dissipate 1000 W for 2 seconds. If you look at the data sheets, they quote generous short-term overload values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back