Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor-MOSFET Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_1

I got a bipolar stepper motor with 4 wires coming out of it; no VCC, and GND pins.
This motor needs 40V, 3.5A.
The micro controller will supply the proper signals for the motor (that has been taken care of) but it can output only 5V and low current. So, I can't connect the motor directly to the PIC.

Therefore I got 4 MOSFETs, with 60V/4A but I do not know how to connect them between the PIC and the motor.
Do I connect 40V to the Gate, then the PIC pin to the Source, and the motor wire to the Drain?
Somehow, this is my first stepper motor project.

Thanks in advance.

I got a bipolar stepper motor with 4 wires coming out of it; no VCC, and GND pins.
This motor needs 40V, 3.5A.
The micro controller will supply the proper signals for the motor (that has been taken care of) but it can output only 5V and low current. So, I can't connect the motor directly to the PIC.

Therefore I got 4 MOSFETs, with 60V/4A but I do not know how to connect them between the PIC and the motor.
Do I connect 40V to the Gate, then the PIC pin to the Source, and the motor wire to the Drain?
Somehow, this is my first stepper motor project.

Thanks in advance.

The gate is the pin that receives the switching signal. You would connect this via a resistor to the PIC output, and generally, depending on the type of MOSFET, you would connect the source to +V and the drain to the motor. If you have a P-type MOSFET, I believe you would need to connect the source to negative, but I can never get those straight. The transistor's datasheet should help you with this.

Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back