Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor For Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

vengeful

What would i need to know in order to decide what stepper motor to use for rotating the stepper motor and hence the satellite receiver. For example there are motors rated at 36,24,12 volts. How do I decide which to use. How does the weight of the satellite receiver dish play a part in me choosing a particular motor????

Hi,

I guess the weight of the satellite dish is no issue, if the drive and the dish are balanced concerning wind load.

Using a worm gear to move the dish in a wide angular range the motor doesn't have be extra strong.

Movement won't have to be rapid, but accurate. (to 1/10 of a degree)

I use geared 12V/500mA-DC-motors (transmission ratio 300:1) to move solar panels providing a total power of 500W (each panel 180X100cm) connected to an M6 worm (spindle) in azimuth and elevation. The worm gear provides extra torque.

The only things which could possibly break are aluminum pipes to make a telescopic and weather proof drive.

Boncuk

P.S. I'm not worried about spare aluminum pipes since my wife uses to break an extendable bathroom cleaner every month. (She was local champinon in Thai kick-boxing in Phetchabun :))

when you say drive what exactly do you mean? Do you mean the motor drive circuitry. Yeah I agree as well, it doesn't necessarily have to be that strong, I will microstep so i can get the accuracy. As long as it is able to rotate at a reasonable speed. Would I need to calculate torque for the load? I only ask because some of the readings say that torque of the load is required and then choose a motor that is able to cater for that torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back