Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor Coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitem2k

Does anyone have any idea how to couple a motor (**broken link removed**

with a steel rod that is 10mm thicker than the motor shaft?

thanks.

Why is the rod so thick? If you need that thickness for strength, it's not going to do anything since the motor shaft will break first.

You could drill an undersized hole straight into it and file it away to mate with the motor shaft. I'm not sure how safe it is to do this and how tough it would be to drill it like that. But really, 10mm is really thick.

I am not sure that your question is as simple as it could be but the simple answer is that you either purchase or fabricate a coupling that matches the shafts you are using. It's not uncommon to have to modify a coupling or fab and adapter. I do realize that not everyone has the means to do this.

Coupling two rotating shafts can be challenging especially if you can't align the shafts with a high degree of accuracy. Note that for some applications a section of rubber hose can serve adequately - all depends on what you are doing.

Many of the robotics suppliers offer couplings that allow for some mis-alignment - though again, you might have to modify (drill out) one of them or supply a bushing to reduce a diameter. An alternative might be to reduce the diameter of the larger shaft so it fits the available hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back