Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor--7805 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianvon

Hi,

I am driving a 12VDC 2A motor with a MOSFET h-bridge, where with the same ground i have the 7805 voltage regulator connected. Now when the motor is active, the h-bridge is draining approx 0.2V to ground. This is causing the 7805 IC output to increase to approx 5.2V.

Is it normal that the h- bridge leak some voltage to ground ?? if yes, how can i prevent the 0.2V from going to the 7805 ground pin ??

Can you post a schematic? The 7805 should be referenced to ground. If the ground reference is elevated of the 7805 the output voltage will elevate. There is something to your circuit I am just not seeing.

Ron

It sounds like what you have is a voltage drop on your ground line - and a big one. Move the ground for the H bridge to the point where the main power supply comes in and make your measurements from that same point. Make sure your wires are big enough for 2 amps.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the replies. Attached is the diagram of the H-bridge with the list of components used. The other diagram shows how the 7805 ground is connected to the h-bridge.

So it is not normal to have voltage leak to ground when the motor is on ??

Last edited:
The 7805 is supplying the PIC, LCD and other ICs. The motor is being supplied from a bench top power supply. The only thing that the H-bridge and the 7805 are sharing is the ground.

.2 volts is a lot of drop across a ground wire. Place your probe ground directly on the 7805 ground and then measure the 5 volts.

Hi,

I am driving a 12VDC 2A motor with a MOSFET h-bridge, where with the same ground i have the 7805 voltage regulator connected. Now when the motor is active, the h-bridge is draining approx 0.2V to ground. This is causing the 7805 IC output to increase to approx 5.2V.

Is it normal that the h- bridge leak some voltage to ground ?? if yes, how can i prevent the 0.2V from going to the 7805 ground pin ??
Single point ground layout.

Single point ground layout

What is a single point ground layout please?

yep, check the peak current needed by the motor.

The 7805 is supplying the PIC, LCD and other ICs. The motor is being supplied from a bench top power supply. The only thing that the H-bridge and the 7805 are sharing is the ground.

Is there a kind of a filter which keeps the ground to 0V??

Glad it was figured out, :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back