Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motion Detection / Destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

I need to make a bot with motion detection, that can "see" an object moving, and shoot it...
It does not need to move, other than to line up its sights...
I would prefer the project to be as computerized as possible, 'cause I have recognition software I would like to later use...

What methods should I take?
Is there a well known electronic method for motion detection for distances between 10m and 20m?
What interface should I use to get the computer to tell the robot how high to aim etc?

at distances of 10m to 20m, probably your only option is to use video and hook it up to a computer and do image processing, so it'll be 90% software.

yeah, I've been looking around quite a bit since I posted, so that's what I'm doing... thanks...

rig some type of doppler radar up on the robot to work in unison with the camera in detecting moving objects. perhaps you should also use a laser rangefinder to tell the computer how far away the object is, so the computer can calculate the ballistic path for maximum accuracy.

very costly, but you may have a chance at making it work.

I've been looking at this whole setup non stop, especially the computer side, and now, I need to ask about the rangefinder:
How much do you think it'll cost?
Where can / should I get one?
What means can I use to transfer the range signal to my pc / microcontroller?

I remember seeing one at radioshack a couple months ago. i don't know if they still carry them, but thats where i found one. you are going to have to tear it apart and modify it though if you want it to connect to the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back