Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motion control (forward-reverse-stop-/reset/-forward-reverse-stop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so there are 3 switches and driver, (drive 1-0, rotation 1-0. home switch, limit switch, start button)

I have a mountain of data manuals please help, using stepper drive. have pulse signal covered.
looking for a very simple circuit (ic prefered but ok with transistors and such)so here is the logic
have a home and limit switch, and a start button. the forward and reverse is controlled by a 0-1 logic as well as run and stop. for the sake of simplicity I will not include inverted signals, but have no problem inverting the signal as I have cd4066 on board (bilateral switch) so here goes.... home switch will start out 1 because it is home. the cw/ccw rotation is set to 0. push start button to set output signal to switch drive to 1 needs to stay running while leaving home position( run until returns back to home)....... wil leave home, hit limit switch setting the cw/ccw state to 1. wil then return to home and reset cw/ccw and drive to 0.

so home limit active(1), push start button momentarily(1), activate drive (1) [cw/ccw still (0)], result drive off homeswitch, now(0)[drive needs to remain (1)], run to limit swtch, setting cw/ccw to (1), then return to home switch (1) stopping cycle until start button pushed.

was looking at a j-k flip flop but started getting confused? maybe clock edge triggered start button. I dunno It is a simple deal I am sure, but I am asking for help so not that simple. someone told me to use toggle switches on both ends but the drive system is to complex for an 1800's switch

as I said I have no problems changing the state of the circuit if that would simplify things, just a mater of changing the resistors on my board I am planning on putting this circuit on the same board anyways.

so there are 3 switches, drive, and direction. start activates drive, limit reverses direction. home stops drive and resets direction.

I forgot to mention that the home and limit switches are electronic, with the schmitt triggers, and am planning on using one on the momentary start switch as well and also a ceramic capacitor for debounce. looking for a simple way to do it without creating a rube goldberg circuit. the key to whatever I use, is it needs to stay latched until a different state is reached. as far as the direction, was planning on using the drive signal to drive the direction ciruit. so lets say 2 inputs (home and start) for drive circuit on/off. Then use on signal to run the direction circuit, the third input. being limit switch. so on startup the home input starts high, the start button is pushed, then home input drops low, and the start button has also dropped input low. that is where I was thinking I need to invert the home switch to active low? then the start button creates a high signal then when drives off home switch the signal is still high? which would also maintain a high state for the direction circuit. so all I would realy need to do is create a latched high signal when the limit switch is tripped. does this sound logical? any thoughts? or a better way to do this?

you have explained a lot and confusing, any how if i understand corectly you are almost near to the solution from you explanation.
see the attached sketch uses two latches, two gates and one out put controller like H-Bridge.
hope this is what you needed

razeen

I will czech your diagram....thanks razeen, i'm not best at unknown IC's? is circuit this is, or related t so I can compare to my notes?
thanks much, will need to figure values though

Last edited:
I just put the blocks of requirements, you have to find specific ICs for the application, refer the datasheet of selected ICs and check the input requirments and outputs.
in the sketch i posted, every state change i assumed with an input high. based on the ICs you select this can be of logic high or low.

finally got more time to look at your diagram, I understand where you are going, you have pointed me in the right direction. the drive isn't an h bridge, but the components used and how they function are what I am after. I think my explanation was to long winded. the difference in my driver is it requires a ( 1 ) state to run and ( 0 ) to stop the motor, and a separate ( 1 ) or ( 0 ) for direction. so run needs a ( 1 ) when start is pushed, till the home/master reset is activated then ( 0 ) state. and the cw/ccw functions as your diagram, without the need for the drive cct. thankyou again for your help, If you are willing to add the needed logic for the motor run circuit I would like that. I would also like it if someone has an idea of an IC that fits the bill best. the values of ( 1 ) and ( 0 ) can be inverted If It better suits design. just needs to be noted. P.s. am currently using MACH 3 program to run my stepper motor driver, just seems like overkill. for enlightenment, the machine is a linear stepper motor drive mounted to a radial arm saw to cut round tenons on logs to make log beds. the limit is the stop for tenon length.
Thanks Razeen

Steve

:) I must be brain dead? all I need is another ( OR ) where you have the DRIVE CCT. I also have dug up the IC's I need to complete the way you have sketched.
a hex gate (mc14572ube/ cd4572) has a nand a nor and 4 inverters. 2 will change the nor and nand to or & and use one as inverter. and (mc14043b/cd4043 quad r-s latch. probly use 2 diodes where the drive cct is for the lack of another or gate. so unless you or someone else has a simpler better way thats what Im going with 2 IC's and 2 Diodes. thanks again I was stuck and that was a good push.

its great to know that you have started on the right direction, i will check the selection of ICs when i am free and let you know.

Edit: see on the attached diagram on how you can simply get required out put as you told..
Direction & enable signals..

Last edited:
mc14572ube

generic MOTOROLA miltifunction IC, thanks motorola, by the way 2-diodes do not function as an or circuit situation, the bias load is not functional in a cmos circuit, or at least as tested? logic would think it would but NO. an OR, INVERTER, and a PNP transistor, and an XOR gate was required..... WHAT? I am not going to explain the first double negative, but I used the XOR and a switch to change logic from +/- ( well I'll just say i am buffering) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back