Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motherboard ethernet just died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
THe ethernet port on my motherboard just died. THe light that goes on when the jack is plugged in no longer goes on. My internet has ocassionaly been disconnecting and instantly reconnecting (at a speed that does not affect anything I'm running for more than a second).

BUt it just died and the only reason I can still get online is because there are two ethernet jacks on my motherboard...

what do you do about this? You can't exactly send away a motherboard...

:D Out of all the quotes I have seen on this chat site, DK yours is the most criptic one I have seen so far! Is it a quote from a famous movie star or singer? :D

Last edited:
This error has happened to each and every one of my computers. I have a stockpile of spare NIC PCI cards because I cannot trust any motherboard NIC port.

As far as fixing it??? I don't know either. I don't even bother any more. I simply disable the port and use the PCI slots. There I must admit I never had a failure. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

Maybe it is just corrupted NIC software. Try removing the driver, power down, and reload from the original installation disk.

Check your MB to be sure that there is not another separate Ethernet port. If there is, you might have to reload the software driver specifically for that one, and then enable it under the Network Connections icon in control panel .... assuming Windows OS.

Last edited:
:D Out of all the quotes I have seen on this chat site, DK yours is the most criptic one I have seen so far! Is it a quote from a famous movie star or singer? :D

It's a not a quote, it's a message from ME.

I reinstalled the drivers and rebooted and it's still dead. It was able to auto-detect the presence of the ethernet and installed it, but it's still not working and the jack is not lit up when plugged in. But the light on the router can detect that the cable is plugged into something.

Last edited:
What do you mean check to see there is not another ethernet port? Like you mean the second one on my mobo that I am using to get online right now? Or do you mean a second one that is seen by the OS when it should not be?

It's a not a quote, it's a message from ME.

I reinstalled the drivers and rebooted and it's still dead. It was able to auto-detect the presence of the ethernet and installed it, but it's still not working and the jack is not lit up when plugged in. But the light on the router can detect that the cable is plugged into something.

please check the physical condition of the contack springs in the ethernet socket of your PC.
many a times you find the contacts are contaminated . you may remove power and then clean the pins' rust by any sharp blade or a micro knife
By the way, can you check the physical condition of the cable you have and if needed have a edge connector also cleaned for contamination.

able to auto detect is a GOOD sign, dknguyen !!

Last edited:
I don't think the problem is the cable since it seems to work when i just swap it. I guess I'll have to see if the PC port can't be cleaned.

Sorry ....my previous reply was not appropriate .....I had skipped the last half of your (OP's) original post.

Maybe reset the MB to fix it.

Last edited:
Sorry ....previous reply was not appropriate .....I had skipped the last half of your original post.

Maybe reset the MB to fix it.

What was so inappropriate? I used no harsh langauge or terms. This is an open forum, I should be able to speak what I think as long as it is not malicious or hurtful, which it was not.
---------------------------edit-----------------------

I see you made revisions to your last post. Okiday, I take back my defensive posture and submit that you were simply misunderstood. :)

Last edited:
I was just teasing you DK! I can understand the seriousness of what your talking about.

:rolleyes:Still, I wouldnt mind having a stalker, I could do with the attention!:rolleyes:

;):D How about putting up a avatar like noggins? Bet he dont get love letters!:D;)

I like looking at my own avatar too ya know. It follows the same logic of why guys pick female characters in video games. Who cares if it doesn't represent you, it's what you're going to be looking at all day.

I like looking at my own avatar too ya know. It follows the same logic of why guys pick female characters in video games. Who cares if it doesn't represent you, it's what you're going to be looking at all day.

I never noticed this till now,but your avatar look a wee-bit cross eyed.

Haha, yeah my friend noticed that within 2 seconds of seeing that picture and was basically like "*smack*, what the heck is wrong with you, man?" I didn't notice it until he pointed it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back