Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most bizzare spec sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

Spec sheets are always worded in a very descriptive, logical, and straightforward manner. Yet I wonder what exceptions are out there.

The question came up after hitting page 10 here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/08/AN79LxxAN79LxxM20Series.pdf

First of all, I found it rather confusing that they go to the trouble to try and detail what should happen if you were to try and use the 3 terminal regulator without hooking up the ground... um, out of all the nearly infinite wrong ways to screw up a device, just why did they choose to document this one???

The funny part is the description for the output cap: "Deadly needed to prevent from oscillation". I'm glad I was told this before getting KILLED by my -5V regulator!

Strange, yet surely spec sheets can get more bizzare than this. Who's got one that can top it?

I don't see what's so odd about it. It just means C0 is really really required to prevent from oscillation...

Then again, english is not my first language.

Exo said:
I don't see what's so odd about it. It just means C0 is really really required to prevent from oscillation...

Then again, english is not my first language.

The same obviously applies to whoever translated the datasheet, although I suspect their English is a lot worse than your English Exo!.

From a foreign English students point of view it probably doesn't look too odd, but it's certainly not something any native English speaker would use, and it looks really odd to me 8)

You see this a lot on datasheets, obviously translated (presumably in Japan?) by someone not familiar with the language.

Didn't you guys notice on the same page of the Japanese regulator, that in figure 1, the "protection" diode is shorting the regulator's input and output! The schematic must have been drawn by the translator, and he didn't know anything about electronics.

OOps, but since this is a negative regulator, then figure 2 has the regulator's input and output shorted by the "protection" diode.

audioguru said:
OOps, but since this is a negative regulator, then figure 2 has the regulator's input and output shorted by the "protection" diode.

Hey, you're right! They did put it in backwards in fig 2. How long till we get the space shuttle up again? Gotta fetch that satellite and fix that mistake I put into the board.

c0 makes sense to prevent oscillation... I've just never seen a spec sheet refer to something as "Deadly necessary".

Who invented the 78xx/79xx regulator anyway? Fairchild, wasn't it? With their uA78xx/uA79xx.
They wouldn't put a mistake like the Japanese backwards diode, on their datasheet. I'm glad that the satellite uses a Fairchild regulator.

A secure ground pin really really is necessary if you were the regulator, and especially if you were its load. When the ground pin is disconnected, the regulator passes unregulated voltage to the load, so the load gets way too much voltage and draws a huge current through the regulator. The Japanese say that the thermal cutoff won't work so the regulator releases its "majic smoke". The load will also release its majic smoke. That's more deadly than a simple oscillation.

There's nothing odd about that. Those are just dummy componants for testing a manufacturing process or soldering practice.

Oriental semiconductor manufacturers copy many American ICs.
New Japan Radio made copies of Texas Instruments' TL07x opamps and "made them better" with a wider bandwidth. They oscillated and were replaced with a "B" version that has the original American bandwidth.

They probably had a wider bandwidth because they were compensated to a lesser degree.

OKAY you win!
I thought why would you make a component that isn't a component at all?
What is it's purpose?
Now it doesn't seam as strange.

imagine a chip requiring 6.3VAC
The number of remaining pins vs number of socket insertions graph is pretty good, but the water tap on the block diagram takes it! :D

This is good too

Attachments

• Random.gif
    Random.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 133
Here is another weird one

Attachments

• Woman Datasheet.gif
    Woman Datasheet.gif
    223.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Math Formula.gif
    Math Formula.gif