Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. The only difference is that a depletion mode turns off with power to the gate, while an enhancement mod turns on with power to the gate.

If you want to use a depletion as an enhancement, you'll need to keep power to the gate always to keep it off, then take the power way to turn it on. And the opposite with an enhancement mode mosfet.

I dont get it exactly....Consider the case of a n-channel MOSFET....
If its a depletion MOSFET,it is ON for V_GS=0...As V_GS is decreased the n channel gets depleted and beyond the threshold voltage the MOSFET turns OFF....On the other hand if V_GS>0, electrons from the bulk are enter the conducting channel and increase the conductivity,thus ensuring enhancement mode operation....
Now if its an enhancement MOSFET,if V_GS is greater than the thermal voltage,a conducting channel(inversion layer) is formed and the device is ON....But how can this MOSFET operate in the depletion mode????There is simply no conducting channel which can be depleted for V_GS<0....

That is correct. Enhancement-mode and depletion-mode transistors operate by a different mechanism and are not interchangeable.

Well m gettin a bit confused ovr here....a depletion MOSFET can be operated as an enhancement MOSFET......but the reverse isnt true....ryt????

So was I totally wrong and talking out my non-coffeed a$$ again?

EDIT: So could a dep-mode PNP be used like a enh-mode NPN?

EDIT2: nvm, answered my own dumb question.

Last edited:
Hi
I need a help to design a battery charger from solar panel , I have a 6V 2.2W solar panel which I am connecting to a 3.6V NIMH 2500mAh battery, I want to use a MOSFET as switch so I will be monitoring the bat voltage , when rich 4.5V the MOSFET will be turned OFF , the reason also that I am using the MOSFET is to not have too much losses and also for power of thr battery not to come back to the solar once the MOSFET is OFF and solar voltage is lower than the Battery.

do not cross post please, and do not hijack other peoples threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back