Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET switch and MAX232

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I would like to use the V+ pin of a MAX232 as a ~10V signal voltage. The signal goes to a high impedance input pin of an IC, so there is very little current draw. I need the signal to stay greater than 8.5V. I read in the MAX232 datasheet that as little as 10mA will drop the voltage on V+ to below 8.5V, so I'm trying to be very sensitive to how much current I'm sourcing from V+.

I need to be able to switch the signal on and off, so I put together a n-channel/p-channel switch, as shown in the attached image. Using 10k resistors, I'm calculating that there won't be more than about a milliamp drawn from V+ at any time. The input to the n-channel MOSFET will be 0V to 5V from a uC. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not overlooking something before I move forward with my design. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Oops! Just realized the symbol for my P-Channel is upside-down. Ignore that :).

Attachments

• mosfet_switch.jpeg
    mosfet_switch.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
you could even make R1 = 100k. All this is doing is providing a discharge path for the gate source capacitance. A 100k will discharge it slower, but this is largely irrelevant. You can also simulate this sort of stuff in LTSpice to get a feel for circuit operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back