Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET Search - Low Gate to Source Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

devonsc

Hi there,

I've tried searching for a very low Gate-to-Source Voltage (Vgs) MOSFET. In general, I'm trying to search for a Vgs of approximately 6V but failed. Would like to ask if such MOSFET exist? If yes, do you mind posting the datasheet here? Please?

Thanks in advance...

Search for logic-level drive MOSFET's

Hi,

Thanks for that advice...But I tried searching for logiv-level MOSFET, it seems that I do not know how to find the difference between a MOSFET and logic-level MOSFET by reading the datasheet. Need help...

Hope you don't mind guiding me.

For instance, between =>
MOSFET: IRF540N
https://www.chipcatalog.com/IR/Datasheet/IRF540N_1.htm

and Logic Level MOSFET : FDP6030BL
https://www.chipcatalog.com/Fairchild/Datasheet/FDB6030BL.htm

Hope I'm reading the correct datasheets...

Thanks in advance...

The second device is a logic level device. You can also tell these types of devices by the gate-source threshold voltage Vgs(th). In logic level devices it is generally 2.5 volts or less.

Unfortunately, many of the companies have devised their own " brand - names " for logic-level devices. Everything from TrenchMOS ( philips ) to OmniFET ( st-micro ), etc. Many of the logic level drive devices contain added circuitry and features such as current limiting, sensing, over-heating protection and gate feedback signals, so the companies come up with names for the technology.

In the case of International Rectifier, they used to be all in the IRLxxx line for logic drive devices. For example, they did a IRL540, a logic drive version of the regular IRF540.

Easiest thing to do is use the parametric search on a manufacturers website to select a device with the basic properties you want for RdsON, Id, package, etc, and then see if the search returns any devices that are logic level drive.

International Rectifier or any of the other companies, don't do a particularily good job of separating its logic level devices on their website. You have to know what families contain these devices... and if you knew that, welll..... :D

The second device is a logic level device. You can also tell these types of devices by the gate-source threshold voltage Vgs(th). In logic level devices it is generally 2.5 volts or less.

Sorry if I'm asking nonsense :oops: But why it shows that the gate-source threshold voltage is 2V to 4V for IRF540N?

Easiest thing to do is use the parametric search on a manufacturers website to select a device with the basic properties you want for RdsON, Id, package, etc, and then see if the search returns any devices that are logic level drive.

Thanks a lot...Sorry, I have real limited knowledge in electronics.

devonsc said:

Sorry if I'm asking nonsense :oops: But why it shows that the gate-source threshold voltage is 2V to 4V for IRF540N?

Real sorry, I guess I've understand what you mean after making some comparisons between IRL540N and IRF540N. Thanks a lot...

I've checked the prices, it seems that the prices for logic level MOSFETs are way higher than normal ones :cry:

No problem, we all start learning somewhere. :D

The logic level devices may simply have lower sales volumes, so the prices are higher than more general purpose established devices that sell in larger volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back