Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET Driver for MC34063

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterl

Hi guys,
I want to make simple DC-DC converter with these characteristics:
V in: 28V
V out: 14V 3A
The converter must be without sink, so i use external P-MOS transistor with low Rds - Si7463.I tried circuit without driver for MOS transistor, but it is heated for a very short time.So i decided to put driver, but i don't know how to wire, because the input voltage is 28V more than MAX Vgs on transistor.
Thank's advance!

Maybe you could post your circuit. I think I understand your problem but the circuit would make it clear. If it is what I think it is, you can make sure you have a gate resistor and then clamp the Vgs with a zener diode.

re:

The only way to solve the problem is to replace MC34063 with other.I chose LM5118.

Best wishes, Peter

if one wants to use LM5118, it would be a design what people joke, 'DESIGN WITH COMPONENT MAXIMA'

The max Vgs of your P-MOS is the maximum voltage between its source, and gate. As its a P-channel MOSFET, the 'source' will be at your Vin potential - 28V. So, as the max Vgs of that device is 20V. 28 - 10 = 8v. That is the lowest voltage you must provide to the gate.

I'm sure there is a known way of doing this, (without lowering your input voltage) but all I can tihnk of right now is to use a zener diode in series with drive signal (ground referenced) to limit the voltage to a minimum of say, 18V (Vgs of 10V) instead of 0v. Then using bipolar transistors as level shifters/inverters to shift up your gate drive from the open collector output. Like this but with a zener in series with the 100R resistor on the first transistor:
https://www.boerde.de/~mw/msp/HighSidePFET.jpg
The first transistor in that circuit being the open collector drive of the MC34063

Perhaps using a boost circuit used for high side N channel MOSFET's. Like this:
**broken link removed**
But with opposite polarity? (with the transistors, diodes, and supply in reverse.)

Consider either a device with a higher Vgs (unwise, as that likely increases gate driver requirements as far as I'm aware..) or perhaps use an N channel with a boost?

**broken link removed**

One more link for old times sake:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/09/AND8291-DPDF.pdf - page 3! Maybe use a 12 or 15V zener in place of the 6.2V one there.

That should give some food for thought

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back