Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet Driver Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

2camjohn

I have just changed from using power transistors to those Fet chip thingies, specifically the TC4427 dual mosfet chip.

Before I start designing my circuits I just want to check with you good people that I have the right idea when wiring it up.

Below is how I plan to wire each mosfet...

Will this work?
Am I missing anything?
Do I need to account for back EMF, or is it done on the chip?

Thanks
John

Attachments

• fettest.jpg
    fettest.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,145
err correct me if I am wrong But are you trying to use this TC4427 to drive the motor?

The TC4427 is a MOSFET driver. Ie the output of which you connect to a power MOSFET. This ensures that there is a low-impedance gate-voltage source to the MOSFET Gate.

I suppose you could use it to source 1.5A to the Motor. BUT this has been specially designed to provide pulses to 1.5A to the gate of a MOSFET not continuos load. It doesnt even state any continuos load conditions

Right,

Im am trying to drive a solenoid and a small motor with this mosfet chip.:oops:

The current drawn is under 1amp.

I didnt know I needed a mosfet aswell that kind of defeats the purpose!:?

I thought this would be simpler than using transistors with the extra circuitry.

Anyone know of a chip like this one that will do the job??

Thanks
John

2camjohn said:
I didnt know I needed a mosfet aswell that kind of defeats the purpose!:?

I thought this would be simpler than using transistors with the extra circuitry.

Anyone know of a chip like this one that will do the job??

You generally do not need a MOSFET driver at all for this circuit.

The PIC will output 5V (assuming you have a 5V Vdd). Most MOSFETs will drive 1 amp fine with this Vgs, although the rdsOn may be a bit high. Check your spec sheet for the MOSFET you have. Many MOSFETs are designed with a lower threshold so they turn on very strongly at 5V or even 3V, these are termed "logic level MOSFETs".

MOSFET drivers are a special purpose kind of thing. Generally we just hook up the MOSFET directly.

Here is the website where I got the idea to use these chips.
https://www.robotroom.com/HBridge.html

I know not to believe everything I read on the internet, but the guys site has loads of good info on it. Should someone contact him and tell him his idea is wrong???

Is it definately a bad idea to use this chip to power a small motor and a solenoid.
The circuit runs of a 6V battery which is only rated to 1A, so with a heatsink it wouldnt fry the chip??? Would it???

david cook has a Warning posted on his site ..
it reads
Direct motor driving with this chip is only possible for motors that draw less than 100 mA (4427) to 150 mA (4424) under load.
so he is talking very small motors i suppose..

Agood way to find parts like that is DigiKey website (www.digikey.com). If you put a keyword in the search, like "mosfet", it will give you a selection of parameters. Choose one at a time until you get the part you want. I found a N-channel good for 1.2 amps in SOT-89 package: ZXMN6A07Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back