Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET current limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borisw37

I'm currently using relatively expensive MOSFETs (IPS6021) that have built in over current and over temperature protection. I do not use the "diagnostic" feature of the device.
I would like to use the much cheaper simple MOSFETs and use external circuitry for current limiting.
The goal is to have a high side switch capable of ~10A @ 12V. The current limit does not need to be precise, but below the MAX current rating for the MOSFET I choose.
Since these switches will be used in large quantities, a $1 per switch savings does make a difference.
Any suggestions?

P.S. Perhaps there are cheaper self-protected MOSFETS.

How much voltage drop can you tolerate for this current limit?

An easy way to limit current is to use an NPN transistor to sense the voltage drop across a resistor in the MOSFET source circuit which then reduces the MOSFET gate voltage, but that requires about a 0.6-0.7V resistor drop at the current limit value. (See this for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back