Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET Band Diagrams Help! (Exam soon!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fouadalnoor

Hey guys, I am struggling to understand how the MOSFET diagrams work... Let's take the NMOS for example:

I understand qualitatively how it works (how it forms an inversion layer, why electrons are attracted to the gate at high positive voltages etc)

What I don't understand is the diagrams (shown below). How come the Fermi Level of the Metal (Ef) is going up when we apply a negative voltage to the gate? And why exactly do the conduction band/valence bands bend in that particular way?

The book I am reading is actually pretty good at explaining things normally, but it seems like everywhere I look these diagrams are taken for granted and just not explained step by step...

Hope you can help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 739
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back