Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET and PWM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Hi.

I was looking to use LM317's to change the voltage to a pump, but infact I am going to look at software PWMing them via MOSFET. If this does not work at a high frequency I will reduce the frequency until it may be on for a few seconds even.

The pumps are 12V with around 1A start up current. What mosfet would be a good choice for this?

Thank you.

An IRF540 would work. It is cheap and available almost everywhere. Maybe a little overkill, but hey.

The IRF540 requires 10V on the gate for proper switch operation and thus is not suited to being driven by a PIC output. To operate from 5V logic levels, you need a logic-level MOSFET such as this.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I just brought two of these:

IRL520 HEXFET POWER MOSFET, IRF on eBay (end time 11-Dec-10 19:16:25 GMT)

Is it correct that these can turn on a 12V ~1A load using the PIC as the driver? From what I can see on the datasheet it seems to say to but I would just like to confirm it before I intergrate it into my circuit.
Did you not read my previous reply?

The datasheet shows that the IRL520 requires 10V gate voltage to fully turn on as a switch. To turn it on from a PIC you will need to add a transistor driver to supply this 10V (or 12V if you have that available) to the IRL520's gate.

Your previous reply talks about the IRF540 needing 10V. In your post you describe the IRF520 as a logic level MOSFET so this is what I brought. I am now thoroughly confused.

Last edited:
Your previous reply talks about the IRF540 needing 10V. In your post you describe the IRF520 as a logic level MOSFET so this is what I brought. I am now thoroughly confused.
My apologies. I was looking at 520 and thinking 540. Certainly the IRF520 should work. Must be too early in the morning for my brain.

That was quick. If you have any problems using them, let us know and someone will be sure to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back