Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

More breakout boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

edeca

A bunch of breakout boards I've just sent off for manufacture. Let's hope I didn't make any errors!

PCB0003 - a breadboard PSU for poor people or those who can't easily shop at Sparkfun for the nice SMD version. Gives 3.3v or 5v from the transformer depending where you put the jumper (no switches, this is cheap!)

**broken link removed**

PCB0004 - a breakout for the 2 axis Memsic accelerometers (available cheap in the UK):

**broken link removed**

PCB0005 - a breakout for GLCDs that gives LCD/contrast control and labelled pins:

**broken link removed**

PCB0006 - a prototyping breakout for the RFM12 transceiver modules:

**broken link removed**

PCB0007 - a breakout for some tiny little light-to-I2C convertors (super cheap, <£1.50 in quantities of 1!)

**broken link removed**

PCB0008 - a breakout for the DS620 temperature sensors (accurate to 0.5C and I2C, nice chips):

**broken link removed**

I would include pictures of traces, but the post is long enough as it is. I can post if anybody is interested.

Very nice boards. They look well thought out and nice clear silkscreens and layout.

PCB0004 - a breakout for the 2 axis Memsic accelerometers (available cheap in the UK):
How much do these cost? Do you have the MMA74XX's available anywhere? They're under $3 on Mouser for 3 axis 2/4/8G digital sensor with tap sensing and sleep. The prices for accelerometers are crazy now. Hopefully decent gyro's will come down even further.

PCB0006 - a prototyping breakout for the RFM12 transceiver modules:
I would think you would have wanted to overhang the board off of the edge of the BOB in order to save PCB space. Did you put the pullups on the board?

How much do these cost?

Most of these are $2.50 production cost from BatchPCB, as they are <1 sq. inch. None of them cost more than $5.

Do you have the MMA74XX's available anywhere? They're under $3 on Mouser for 3 axis 2/4/8G digital sensor with tap sensing and sleep. The prices for accelerometers are crazy now. Hopefully decent gyro's will come down even further.

I just searched and Farnell in the UK stocks 4 different kinds. Two are US stock (so you get charged a hefty fee) and two are about the same price as the Memsic ones. I think I picked the Memsic ones due to UK availability. The sensors are only a few pounds each.

I would think you would have wanted to overhang the board off of the edge of the BOB in order to save PCB space.

Originally I did this, then I discovered that even with the radio on the board it is still the smallest size they charge for ($2.50) or very slightly larger. So I made it easy to route, rather than small.

Did you put the pullups on the board?

Nope. I was in two minds about this all along as if I put pullups on every board then prototyping with more than one sensor per bus is difficult. With labeled pins it isn't hard to include the pull-ups on the breadboard.

Looks good, Batch is a good business idea. As long as very small, it really is the economy.

Looks good, Batch is a good business idea. As long as very small, it really is the economy.

The things I like about BatchPCB are:

* they provide an Eagle DRC file that works well
* you can upload and get an estimate of cost (and confirmation that they can build it)
* you do not have to worry about drill sizes
* you get a rough image of what it should look like
* they have a decent, modern site that does not require voodoo magic in special formats and text files (despite being about 3000 miles closer to my house, this is why I ruled out Olimex)

Perhaps if I got lots of the same board made I would try another company. Your site PCBWING looks good, perhaps I will test you another time. Will you panellise a small board onto a larger panel?

Ya, I wasn't asking about the price of the boards. I've used BatchPCB before, though it was a while ago. The only issue is with the wait time.

For a pullup I was refering to the fsk/data line on the RFM12. For a proper breakout it's probably better not to have it.

The things I like about BatchPCB are:

* they provide an Eagle DRC file that works well
* you can upload and get an estimate of cost (and confirmation that they can build it)
* you do not have to worry about drill sizes
* you get a rough image of what it should look like
* they have a decent, modern site that does not require voodoo magic in special formats and text files (despite being about 3000 miles closer to my house, this is why I ruled out Olimex)

Perhaps if I got lots of the same board made I would try another company. Your site PCBWING looks good, perhaps I will test you another time. Will you panellise a small board onto a larger panel?

Batch mode is a patchwork of many small PCB post processing, reducing each plate tooling cost. But the area is slightly larger board will be expensive. Another problem is the build time not guaranteed. They need to wait before they can produce enough volume.
Our features are written in my signature. You will think it is very cost-effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back