Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mongoose Mechatronic Chassis first production photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

Here are photos of the first production version of the Mongoose.
**broken link removed**
Front (note the standoffs plus top & forward mounted connectors for your own PCBs or future kits)
**broken link removed**
Underside (TTL Serial connector, thermal fuse and a good look at the ball caster)
**broken link removed**
Rear (note the ballcaster & 0.1uf caps on the motors if you look carefully you can even see the painted rotation sensor stripes on the blue front gears, it's also starting to rain :)

Last edited:
Very nice. I was wondering why did you mount the pcb to the the front and not the top? The only reason I ask is that there doesn't seem to be much clearance from the pcb to the ground.

Last edited:
The front mounted PCB is 7.6mm (.3") from the floor. The top was reserved for a breadboard or other user options. There is also a front mounted I/O and mount points for user PCB designs like rangefinders, line followers (where being close to the floor is nessary). It's designed for flat indoor surfaces.**broken link removed**

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
The front mounted PCB is 7.6mm (.3") from the floor. The top was reserved for a breadboard or other user options. There is also a front mounted I/O and mount points for user PCB designs like rangefinders, line followers (where being close to the floor is nessary). It's designed for flat indoor surfaces.**broken link removed**

10-4, keep up the good work! :D

Very nice! you finally finished the bugger. Nice work.

Which parts/components did you actually make Bill. Are the motors and gears and housing a standard part or did you design and build that/those components?

Looks very nice...

All the motors, gears and wheels are made by Tamiya. Most hobby stores should be able to get them.
They are very high quality and not terribly expensive.
**broken link removed**
Tamiya double gearbox includes motors and gear grease, Mongoose uses the 115:1 ratio setup. Those square holes in the front are ideal for the opto sensor set. (they need only a little enlarging) #70168
**broken link removed**
Tamiya 58mm Wheels & tires #70145
**broken link removed**
Tamiya ball caster #70144

Last edited:
Would I just give my local hobbystore these part numbers?

Oh, well theres the problem. They dont sell any tamiya model stuff.

Robot builder 101 said:
Oh, well theres the problem. They dont sell any tamiya model stuff.
You won't get very far if you limit yourself to one store.

Mike.

Bill,

It looks very nice. Can I just ask, where on earth did you get that right angled sil socket?

Any plans for add on sensor boards?

Mike.

Pommie said:
Bill,

It looks very nice. Can I just ask, where on earth did you get that right angled sil socket?

Any plans for add on sensor boards?

Mike.
Lucky for me Creatron in Toronto has little difficulty getting almost any part.

I'm a little stumped on Ethernet jacks with magnetics for the next kit.:confused:

As for a hobby store without Tamiya, try an RC store. Tamiya is a huge company.

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
I'm a little stumped on Ethernet jacks with magnetics for the next kit.:confused:

nice work with the robot - looks like a great platform to experiment with.

regarding the jacks with integerated magnetics, the supplier that comes to mind is Pulse and their MagJack product.

Mouser has the Pulse J0026D21 for $3.49 ... Pulse seems to have a lot of options for the jack with different internal magnetic and wiring configurations, I'm not sure what is normal or what is required by your PHY.

here is the datasheet, I think they've got direct link protection in place, so this link may not work, in that case just visit the website directly and plug the number into the search box.

**broken link removed**

I veered off topic ;)
The next kit is a Ethernet ENC28J60 kit, Pulse makes scads of Ethernet jacks with magnetics and not all are compatible.

How much would it cost? Looks like a amazing robot! You should go to the patent office and sell it to major retailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back