Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Money laundering........How does it work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkvenki

Hi guys,

I receive mails which state that i have won a lottery of a very huge amount.
They mention that i should keep the information confidential.
They provide some batch numbers ...and instruct me to keep that for any correspondance.

I have received a lot of mails like this.
I believe that this is what is money laundering.

But what i want to know is how dos this work out for them??

I wish to have a discussion on this.

thanking you
Venki

I don't think it is about money laundering. It is about separating you from some of your money. It depends on the inate greed of the human species to acquire a monetary windfall with no effort or risk.

This is actually a variation on the Nigerian 419, the pigeon drop, and the bank examiner scams. In order to claim your prize you have to send some good and valuable consideration as a fee of some kind. If you do this you can kiss your money goodbye. There is no lottery in the world you can win without buying a ticket. I think you would remember if you had bought a ticket.

There is a group of brave souls out there who actually mess around with these people just to see if they can be played in return. Unless you are prepared to deal with the consequences I don't recommend this activity for fun and amusement. The people behind these e-mails are part of a worldwide criminal enterprise.

Look at the economics of sending 10 million e-mails a day and gettining a 0.01% response rate. It doesn't take many hits to make the enterprise worthwile.

Hi papabravo,

I think you are right.
I have heard of this scam.

I appreciate your reply.

regards,
Venki

tkvenki said:
Hi guys,

I receive mails which state that i have won a lottery of a very huge amount.
They mention that i should keep the information confidential.
They provide some batch numbers ...and instruct me to keep that for any correspondance.

I have received a lot of mails like this.
I believe that this is what is money laundering.

But what i want to know is how dos this work out for them??

I wish to have a discussion on this.

thanking you
Venki

i get about 2-3 of those emails a day to my yahoo account.....gmail blocks them well

anyways i put them on block for my yahoo account and they still get though......its so annoying

Money laundering is a process used by criminals to prevent the goverment discovering their stolen cash or drug money. Imagine you have a £1000,000 in cash, that's a huge volume in notes, you can't just go to the bank and open an account or they'll get suspicious . You don't want to store it in some shed somewhare or you loose the interest you need to come up with a way of investing it without getting caught and this is where money laundering comes in it often involves overseas accounts,people trafficing and drugs
I wouldn't recommend it. :)

The purpose of money laundering is to make ill-gotten gains appear to be from real business or legal operations. So people might run cash-heavy businesses (such as bars/pubs/clubs), where it is easier to obscure the true source of the cash since most transactions leave no paper trail.

hm sounds like the e-mails i get once a month telling me that they are sons or daughters of a murdered pooitician that has left them xxxxx billions and need to invest it in my secure country (Italy ? haha secure thhats a joke) and promise me x million as reward for my help. of course I just delete them luckily the only come once every 1-3 months so aren't a pain

Thunderchild said:
hm sounds like the e-mails i get once a month telling me that they are sons or daughters of a murdered pooitician that has left them xxxxx billions and need to invest it in my secure country (Italy ? haha secure thhats a joke) and promise me x million as reward for my help. of course I just delete them luckily the only come once every 1-3 months so aren't a pain

That's all they are, scams to steal money FROM you, no money laundering, just a cheap scheme to steal money from greedy people!.

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!"

I got one from a Bank of Nigeria employ. I checked... There did exist such a bank... I sent them the mail with the headers... No response...

Not even a denial or a "sorry for the inconvenience" or a "We shall look into the matter..."

lord loh. said:
I got one from a Bank of Nigeria employ. I checked... There did exist such a bank... I sent them the mail with the headers... No response...

No disrespect to any Nigerians on the forums, but Nigeria is commonly considered to be the most crooked country on the planet!. NEVER get involved with a Nigerian, or anything to do with Nigeria!.

My younger brother used to work for one of the main UK banks, and he was involved (at one time) in setting up a database for different types of fraud. Obviously he had things like 'credit card fraud', 'cheque fraud' - but he had a catagory 'Nigerian Fraud' as well :)

You should just delete the emails, preferably without even reading them, all your reply has done is prove your address is valid - so they know to send more!. All they are for is to STEAL MONEY FROM YOU! - nothing else!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No disrespect to any Nigerians on the forums, but Nigeria is commonly considered to be the most crooked country on the planet!. NEVER get involved with a Nigerian, or anything to do with Nigeria!.

My younger brother used to work for one of the main UK banks, and he was involved (at one time) in setting up a database for different types of fraud. Obviously he had things like 'credit card fraud', 'cheque fraud' - but he had a catagory 'Nigerian Fraud' as well :)

This is your second post today that I found ammusing.... You seem to be in a good mood today? How is the weather in Derbyshire? ;)

lord loh. said:
This is your second post today that I found ammusing.... You seem to be in a good mood today? How is the weather in Derbyshire? ;)

It's raining at the moment, but I've just finished watching the German Grand Prix, where it was nice and sunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back