Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Momentary to two position

Status
Not open for further replies.

H20rider

I have a micro push button momentary switch. I want to use it on a vintage motorcycle ( 12 volt) to switch between high and low headlamp beams. That is, to change its use from on/off to a to position switch. Can this be done? To be clear, the beams are not additive -- the low needs to go off when the high is on and vice-versa. I'm hoping I can use the momentary nature of the switch to trip a relay that will change the power from one circuit (low) to the other (high). I am not well versed in electronics, but have some (electric guitar wiring, small projects).... So please assume you are responding to a novice.
Thanks in advance or any help.

One possible parts list is a JK flip flop, pullup/pulldown resistors, two relay driver devices and two relays that can switch lamp loads.

You want a "relay flip-flop". There were several threads on these forums about that recently.

Last edited:
Do you want the same switch to provide a 'both off' function?
Something like this sequence?
HeadlightSwitchLogic.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.
Just a way to toggle between high and lo beam with a momentary.
I now understand that I'll need a relay. I found a source for a solid state relay, but not sure of the hook-up....which wires connect to what.
From the photo, I see at least 5 wires - red, black, white, yellow, and orange. So... black to power, red to ground, white to one beam, yellow to the other beam, and orange to the switch(?)

From the photo, I see at least 5 wires - red, black, white, yellow, and orange. So... black to power, red to ground, white to one beam, yellow to the other beam, and orange to the switch(?)
Doesn't sound likely. Check the datasheet for the SSR. A wrong connection could damage it.
You will need to debounce your switch or it will give unpredictable results.

Solid State Relays (SSRs) usually do not work on DC. They are designed to be used on AC Power (50 or 60 Cycle). You really need to look at the specs, or post a link to it...

To mechanize the relay-based flip-flop (toggle), it requires either two or three relays.

Here's one possibility, using a standard automotive (Bosch type) relay:-
HiLoBeamSwitch.gif

looks like Alec_t's schematic is the simplest, and most complete. seems to be a very common question.

Attachments

• Alternate-action.gif
    Alternate-action.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
The relay I got has 6 leads.
Red-12 volt from light switch
Black- ground
White - low beam
Yellow - high beam
Then two orange wires. Instructions list these orange leads as going to a switch..... But connecting to the poles of a switch does not produce any effect.
I tried running a fused lead from the battery to an orange lead and then grounding the second orange lead, But, no effect.
Ideas?

Can we see the instructions and full spec of the relay?

By the way, I have a positive ground system.
:confused: The schematic shows a negative ground system. Maybe that's where your problem lies.
I tried running a fused lead from the battery to an orange lead and then grounding the second orange lead, But, no effect.
That should have blown the fuse if one lead went to + and the other to - (ground) and if, as it seems, the two orange wires are simply intended to be shorted together when the switch closes.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Knowing that it was a pos. ground, I switched the power and ground leads. I don't think I originally set it up as in the directions (neg. ground) but, at some point I did switch I did switch the + - leads and blew a fuse. Could I have fried the relay?
I'm still trying to make this work, but have also sent off for a dimmer relay for '67 vw bug.

Could I have fried the relay?
Possibly, if the relay is a solid-state type (it's unclear from the picture). We still don't know the full spec, or at least type number, of the relay.

Okay.... new dimmer relay as used in old VW bug and wired in as shown in diagram above. Headlight goes on but grounding the switch lead has no effect....that is, there is no change to high beam.
Ground is good
Continuity is good between the relay and the bulb for both leads (high and low)
Physically swapping the two leads (high to low & vice versa) allows the high beam to light, but still no switch effect.
It seems highly unlikely that two different relays would misbehave in exactly the same way.
SO...
POWER :)
GROUNDS:)
BULBS:)
CONTINUITY OF BOTH CIRCUITS:)
TEST FOR SHORTS :)
NEW RELAY:)
SWITCHING::( :mad:

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE??:confused:

Have you checked both fuses?
Have you linked pins 56 and 30?
What is the resistance measured between pins 30 and S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back