Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Momentary Power Switch Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I have built the following circuit on a PCB, and I'm having some trouble getting it to work.

I've double-checked connections and values, and I've only assembled the relevant section on the PCB.

The latch circuit is driven from a MAX1555, and eventually feeds 2 LDO regulators (I currently have a red LED hooked up to the output for testing). The output of the MAX1555 is ~4.2v, and I am using this dual MOSFET (Vgs is ~1v, should be fine).

When I power the circuit, the switch is "on", which is fine. When I press the button to turn it "off" (even holding the button), I can see a quick FLASH where the LED goes off (power turns off) but within 1/10 of a sec, it turns back on by itself.

I've tested the circuit in a sim and it appears to work as expected.

Anyone have experience with this/a similar circuit?
Cheers!

For that circuit to work, the load must be <<10K to ground. A LED wont do it...

For that circuit to work, the load must be <<10K to ground. A LED wont do it...
Mike, thanks for your reply.

Is this a result of the 10k pull-up on the gate? If I understand you correctly, the load needs to be less than this 10k in order to shut off.

Since this is a battery powered projet, I dont want to waste current through a parallel load resistor - think I could bump the 10k up to 100k? Then my load just needs to be less than 100k if I understand you.

I spiced it. If the load is a simple resistor, it works if load resistance < 18K. If you put a LED in series with the load resistor, it never works, regardless of the LED's current limiting resistance value. If you shunt the LED/resistor with a 10K resistor, it works.

I think this was intended to switch a load with an effective resistance of a few Ohms.

With a high impedance load, I had to decrease R3 to make it work with a high impedance load. Here it is: play with it...

Attachments

• Draft105.asc
    1.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Mike, thanks a bunch for the SPICE file! I've never used LTSpice before but I immediately like it better than the other (Java) sim I was using.

I see what you mean about shunting the LED/resistor. I will play with it from here, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back