Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

molex .1 connectors. crimping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyAyXGhF

I recently bought .1" molex pins from digikey for a project, and they are all attached. When I disconnect them and crimp them, there are still "wings" that come off the sides making it impossible to insert them into the headers.

attached is a picture.

I tried bending them out of the way, but it doesn't seem like that's the right thing to do. Cutting them off also isn't working cleanly. Maybe these connected pins are meant for machine insertion or something?

Attachments

• IMG_8137.JPG
    IMG_8137.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 180
I havn't seen things quite like that before, but usually, I have to physically cut the metal along the pin with a pair of cutters, I use a pair that is used for lead nipping that doesn't shoot the lead across the room.

I'm really not looking forward to cutting these out, as I have about 180 of them to do and doing 10 has already dulled my cutters. The last time I ordered these things (from a different place, jameco I think?) they were attached at the bottom with a very small piece of metal and only took a few bends to release them.

Consider an "aviation" snip, such as this:
POJ_577-303R.jpg

Or, buy different contacts, as you suggest.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back