Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MODS FAX MACHINE for HAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

testingpurpose

Hi,

I'd like to reuse old fax machine for ham. It will be nice to interface such machine with HF rig.

Any information ?

Have a nice day. Oleg

Yeah, look up SSTV on Wikipedia

testingpurpose said:
Hi,

I'd like to reuse old fax machine for ham. It will be nice to interface such machine with HF rig.

Any information ?

Facimile was done decades back, using really old fax gear, at very slow rates, with paper wrapped around a rotating cylinder. Modern faxes are completely different, and work at a far, far faster rate, totally unsuitable for sending over an HF rig.

Hi all,

Thanks for replies. May be I'm wrong but past and present fax always use phone line with 300-3000Hz bw. So problem may be only on interfacing for injecting this modulation on hf rig. (There is a lot of old machines dropped every day and it can be a way to reuse them...)

Have a nice day. Oleg

testingpurpose said:
Hi all,

Thanks for replies. May be I'm wrong but past and present fax always use phone line with 300-3000Hz bw. So problem may be only on interfacing for injecting this modulation on hf rig. (There is a lot of old machines dropped every day and it can be a way to reuse them...)

Present fax machines use a high speed modem, plus a duplex connection, an HF radio link isn't suitable for this. The obvious way to do fax over radio is a computer, and presumably there will be plenty of info about it?. SSTV is done via computer these days as well.

SSTV is purpose built to do exactly what you want, if you want to re-use the fax machine you need to tap into the scanning circuit and do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back