Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modifying a circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

I'm trying to modify this robot controller (which operates on 120VAC) to operate on 12VDC. I have the wiring diagram, but it's confusing me. I found the connectors that I need to tap into "See below with the outlined pencil square". They are two 11 pin molex connectors. While on the diagram it only shows one with 10, in the real thing theres 11 o.o. Anyway, I need to find where to connect the 12VDC, 5VDC, and Ground voltages to each pin.

The power supply output 11 pin molex is connected to the power supply board; where 120VAC is converted to the rectified, regulated, and required voltages. This is where I need to tap into to feed it directly with the voltages with a car battery. For the 5 volt source, I'm just gonna use a voltage regulator.

I'm having trouble reading this schematic. Plus I took some voltage measurements on the power supply output molex, and they are strange.

This is what I got:

Pin1 = -12v
Pin2 = NONE
Pin3 = +12v
Pin4 = NONE
Pin5 = NONE
Pin6 = NONE (not connected to anything but still read 9 volts)
Pin7 = Ground ?!?
Pin8 = +5v
Pin9 = NONE
Pin10 = NONE
Pin 11 = NONE

I connected it up and it's not powering it up. Can someone help me get these voltages right on the pins?

Thanks

Attachments

• controllerpower_001.jpg
    controllerpower_001.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 449
If anybody could help that would be greatly aprreciated. I've been trying to figure this out for two days. The wiring diagram is confusing; an example "what does 0m and V ACIA mean".

Thanks

Yes it is a bit confusing.
I can't work out what "V ACIA" is, but "0m" seems to be the 0 volt connection for +12Vm and -12Vm, which I think may be motor supplies.
The schematic you have for the PCB400 power supply, I dont think that that is the same "PCB400" as is shown on the robot wiring diagram, the wiring diagram shows connections to an external heatsink, the PCB400 schematic does not.
I think you are suffering from the common problem:
The drawings dont match the hardware!

JimB

After fooling around with old bruteforce measurments. I have got the logic board powered up. Now I just need to power the motor supplies. Am I correct to connect the -12 and -5 to ground? That's the only way that the logic board will work. I can now send the robot logic commands that don't have to do with the motors, but motor's are not powering up.

So You think -12v and -5 sound be on ground?, and if any one can help with powering the motors up, thanks a lot.

You're right about one thing JimB; the schematics don't match the hardware. I've found a lot of things not even listed on the schematic. Plus theres a lot of errors like on the schematic it shows a 10 pin molex; when it is really 11.

The fuses seem to be for the motors; which they run back to a switch and then to some wires on the molex. Do you think I would just feed in the voltages rated on the fuses; in this example ("-12v, 12v, and 5v").

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back