Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify the bad word list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero999

Banned
I've noticed that the forum software will let you say many swear words but the word p0rn is censored. This is silly since you can say the f-word, s-word and C U Next Tuesday but not p0rn which is genre of material rather than a rude word.

I know I've mentioned this before in passing but I think things do need to be changed.

What does everyone else think?

Do you think that things are fine as they are?

Do you think swearing is cool and would like to see more of it?

Or do you feel that as this is an educational forum swearing should be banned?

I don't see there is a huge language problem. If the word you wish to use is banned, be creative. If a member is using excessively foul language, the moderator will deal with it, also there is the RED SQUARE... I don't use the 'bad' language much, but sometimes slip them in to show how strongly something bothers me. I think the language here is cleaner then most real-world enviroments. Most anyone drawn to this site, will most likely have been exposed to the 'terminology' anyway. I think if anyone is overly sensitive to the language, they most likely will move on, or tolerate, depending on how useful they find this site. Don't some browsers have filters?

I have nothing against swearing in the right time and place, ideally I would like to have no censorship and let everyone swear as much as they want. The reason why I strongly agree with censorship in the case of this forum is that it's likely to be used in educational environments where the Internet access is likely to be filtered so a whole page might be blocked just because one member swears.

I'd like the bad word filter to change all swear words to something less rude, for example freak for the f-word and stuff for the s-word.

I think leaving things the way they are is probably the best that can be expected. The adminstrator and moderators do a great job, and this site is fun and interesting, because we aren't held to very strick guidelines.

To clarify my position, using bad language (or deliberately trying to defeat the filters) will result in a short term ban, repeated offences will result in a permanent ban!.

Moderator.

Sounds jolly O good to me (do british people say that?) !

Krumlink said:
Sounds jolly O good to me (do british people say that?) !
I seem to recall that "jolly good" is a British expression, but I've never heard of "jolly o good".

Hero999 said:
Do you think swearing is cool and would like to see more of it?
No I don't & no I would not.

In my opinion, swearing is a poor excuse for good English.

Also, it is often vague to the point of being meaningless, eg. if someone said "my car is s...

What does it mean? Obviously there is something wrong with his car, but what?

Is the engine faulty, are the tyres flat, does it need a wash, etc?

ljcox said:
I seem to recall that "jolly good" is a British expression, but I've never heard of "jolly o good".

You've been watching too many American WWII films! :p

Perhaps 60-70 years ago it may have been an expression used by a tiny portion of the population?, who can say? - but it's certainly not been used since then.

I agree spuffock! M*crosoft needs to be added to the naught list! VISTA SHALL NOT BE GIVEN AS AN XMAS GIFT THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!

I hope Windows 7 is much better. I doubt it, though... :s

I'd like to add 8051 and 16F84 :)

I agree Vista is not a good thing, seriously all I want windows for is to run programs. I don't care about explorer, outlook and the 500meg of stuffing. I'd use Linux if MPLAB, Orcad, Sprint Layout & Sketchup ran with it.

Last edited:
Yeah, i sure would like google to make sketchup for linux. I thought google was making a linux distro? So why wouldn't they make their software linux compatible?

Hi guys, just thought I'd explain a bit...

We don't have much of a problem with swear words, however adult names have been banned because back in the day we used to get many many spammers trying to advertise their sites which were not pleasant to have to read.

This is a good topic and I am glad it has been discussed. As a result of people's opinion we will not touch the word sensor..

~EM

people swear when they lack the capacity or vocabulary to express their idea more accurately with other words. but that´s just my &$%ing opinion.

There seems to be a conflict between what Nigel and ElectroMaster says.

Nigel Goodwin said:
To clarify my position, using bad language (or deliberately trying to defeat the filters) will result in a short term ban, repeated offences will result in a permanent ban!.

Moderator.

ElectroMaster said:
We don't have much of a problem with swear words
So can we swear or not?

I would like to swear less as I don't think it's a good habit althought it doesn't really offend me. When it comes to offending people, everone's different, one word might offend one person and not another and the same goes for anything elese. For example, the picture of Bush eating a baby that Krumlink posted offended me more than a typical hardcore p0rn scene featuring a woman giving a man a blowjob, however others might find the p0rn more offensive than Bush eating a baby.

Hero999 said:
There seems to be a conflict between what Nigel and ElectroMaster says.

So can we swear or not?

Doesn't matter who bans you, you're still banned! :p

There's no reason for swearing on these forums, and I've made my position clear already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back