Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modern chip Hardcore ASM information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Is there any way to get low level information about modern processor hardware? Particularly for ASM programmers? Extended instructions, memory, data and I/O mapping etc... Just as an example the Core 2 Duo E8x series?

I see more and more processors having little check boxes next to them just like the peripheral features of micro controllers, and they're not that much harder to deal with with the exclusion of lack of information on access methods and instructions which aren't in nice PDF files fully commented.

Considering what can be done with modern micro controllers using only a few K of memory at 20mhz. I'm curious to see what just simple access to a processor can result in as the cache memory alone on some of the Core 2 chips is around 4 meg. Even without external memory or I/O other than whatever GPIO lines are on the chip, the processing speed alone would be absolutely mind boggling to play with, hot wire a pin or two from a motherboard with shielding to external high speed drive circuitry and you could make some very interesting devices. The DDS possibilities alone make me drool, and code for a simple DDS is NOT hard to write, especially in a 32 bit assembly.

I just thought a core2 duo might be a bad first chip to ask about =)
How about something older like what I'm using in my machine now,
an AMD Athlon 2100 thunderbird

Yep, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back