Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moderator authority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/illegal-post-deleted.127548/

So the moderator has enough power to alter the contents of the post to rename it and void it's content but not remove it from being seen on the site?

This seems weird to me. If a moderator chooses to delete something it should be gone and a log should be made 'high priority' for EM, or a super moderator to follow up on.

Err...Me a poor member got much annoyed lately due to content removal :)

All the juicy/funny/witty comments are removed lately w/o any natural commonsense/humoursense :)

Moderators have the power to delete posts / threads no problem. They don't need me to do it and I don't need to authorise it. We are simply trying to leave more notes when we edit posts to show users that their post has been edited (else they complain) and to also show other members that we are working hard on keeping the forum clean.

Lately, I feel like the moderators have been getting a real hard time for the work they've been doing. They put in a great deal of time to keep this forum clean, especially considering how many visitors we get per day. It seems that no mater what they do members complain with the 'you're editing to much' or 'you're not editing enough'.. If we didn't have them this forum simply wouldn't exist so maybe a thanks is in order and not more criticism.

Rant over. :eek:

Regards,
EM

Well, I'd like to say a big thank you to the moderators. I don't spend as much time here as I used to but note, that when I am, the level of spam is zero and that can not be said for many other forums.

Mike.

I second Pommie's comment. The moderators here do a thankless job well. Sure this site has some quirks, but the site is nowhere near as buggy as some other sites. For that and the absence of pop-up advertising, I personally thank ElectroMaster and appreciate his efforts.

As for the substance of the original post, it appears that moderators here are limited to deleting a whole post, deleting sections from a post (e.g., a paragraph), and censoring specific words with asterisks. While there might be some disagreement about whether something should have been deleted, I have not seen any editing that actually changed the meaning of the author, and I think that is good. Re-writing of sentences, if ever done, has been so rare as to not be of any consequence.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Hi,

I do some moderating at another electronics site and i can tell you it is not easy at all. Sometimes we'd get hit by 100's of spammers all in the same day and i'd be there for a couple hours trying to get rid of everything.

The stuff i mainly got rid of was ad links and as far as other person to person stuff usually the only time i got rid of or altered something was when one person openly and obviously mocked another person. It's always ok to disagree, but not to call another person degrading names and such. That was not allowed. I always left a note though as to why it was changed or deleted, except for nice posts with ad links where i would just delete the link and not say anything about it because i assumed that the member had read the forum rules. I would think that "Illegal Post" would refer to a post that did not follow the forum rules such as posting ad links or something like that.

Last edited:
I have not seen any editing that actually changed the meaning of the author, and I think that is good. Re-writing of sentences, if ever done, has been so rare as to not be of any consequence.

Regards, John

hi John,

I agree it would not be proper to edit the text in a Post in order to change its meaning.

There are often times when OP's Titles are so misleading that they either get no help or sarcasm..

Typically these are the 'helppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeee URGENT' variety, in these cases I read the OP's text and Edit the Title to indicate why/what he wanting help for, this hopefully improves the chances of getting the help the OP is wanting.

E.

I think the mods do an excellent job. Hats off to them. By keeping the site respectable it's suitable for youngsters taking up electronics and technology, who should be encouraged. They are the future.

Like Pommie, I haven't been very active on the site for some time now but when I have popped in, I haven't really noticed any spam.

Why?

Most likely that the mods have already spotted it, or a proud member has reported it and it has been swiftly dealt with.

This site, for me, is probably the most relaxed and tolerant of the popular electronics sites out there. If a post subject is bordering on spam, dangerous, or illegal, you can bet your boots that someone will step in and say so and say why, or report that post to those who freely contribute their own spare time and have the unenviable task of making the final decision on whether a post stays and is allowed to evolve, or nip it in the bud.

If it's a blatant spam, dangerous or illegal post, then I fully trust the judgement of the person making the decision to label it so and if the post is left with the OP's name plus a mod edit, I have an idea who to watch out for in the future.

Regards.

My thinking runs with that of Pommie and Mickster in that I seldom notice the moderation group doing their moderation thing. While I do not know how much spam this forum gets I would venture a guess quite a bit that the regular members seldom see. I moderate in a site that gets so much spam it's not unusual for me to remove 30 plus post from the que a few times a day or another moderator to do so. Overall, in the time I have been here I have found the moderation staff to be pretty fair and conscientious.

Just My Take
Ron

the site and moderation team have always had and will always have my full support. this is the ONLY! site/forum my sone is allowed to use without any form of censorship from myself or my wife, we totaly trust the moderators and EM to make and keep this site safe and clean to the point we feel no need to be breathing over our boys shoulder when he is on here. it is some testiment to the job they do when a parent like me feels he is able to do that.
One last point......if your being moderated then its probaly because your being a idiot! and yes ive been moderated once or twice and yes i was being a idiot :D keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back